Do you store items in your oven when it’s not in use?

mariadnoca

Moderator
I’m currently rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, otherwise known as my kitchen counter. Why? Because a big box arrived, which is my 7 quart proline used KA mixer off eBay, I haven’t dared open the box yet to see if it’s a disaster, buying something used and basically unseen. But I’m rearranging the counter and taking my old KA off to try out the new one. And it reminded me of a time when I was a new girlfriend cleaning the kitchen of my boyfriend and his roommates apartment and went to cook something and just turned on the oven, like you do in my world, and I never thought to look in it until something started to smell. Both boyfriend and roommate said why would you not look in the oven first for all the stuff that stored in there? It had never occurred to me. So, do you store items in the oven when it’s not in use?
 
Do not store and do not look.

I did leave something malarranged in there once but programmed myself to remember the next time I wanted to use the oven. The memory still works (it's all alone though).
 
lol! Yes, I can recall accurately where I stored something 30 yrs ago, but, don’t set this thing down here Maria, you’ll never find it again. Thank goodness one can call out Siri, where are you? Because I set that darn phone down…somewhere .
 
I’m currently rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, otherwise known as my kitchen counter. Why? Because a big box arrived, which is my 7 quart proline used KA mixer off eBay, I haven’t dared open the box yet to see if it’s a disaster, buying something used and basically unseen. But I’m rearranging the counter and taking my old KA off to try out the new one. And it reminded me of a time when I was a new girlfriend cleaning the kitchen of my boyfriend and his roommates apartment and went to cook something and just turned on the oven, like you do in my world, and I never thought to look in it until something started to smell. Both boyfriend and roommate said why would you not look in the oven first for all the stuff that stored in there? It had never occurred to me. So, do you store items in the oven when it’s not in use?
I store baking sheets in the bottom oven, which rarely gets used, except if cooking for a large crowd, in which case the sheet pans move temporarily to the garage.....
 
I have left stuff in for various reasons - like a cookie sheet that I put under a casserole or such and then turned on the oven. Oh I think I did leave something like some croutons or some nuts in there once. I put them on a sheet pan to crisp up and threw them in the warm oven after baking something. Then I forgot and turned the oven on.
 
Have never used my oven as a storage bin. Mother never did either so guess it was simply a childhood behavior I adopted from her. Would never even think to look inside an oven before turning it on to preheat.
 
Never. Although I did buy a barely used electric stove from an older bachelor who was getting rid of it because the women in his life said he needed modern brushed steel appliances. His stove was 3 years old and the oven racks were still wrapped in plastic. He pulled out several bags of potato chips to show me.
 
Back
Top