Dr. Oetker's Bitter Almond extract (simply stated as Almond extract)

No, but it was a fun read. Most seem to say that it is stronger. Of course, I knew nothing of cyanide, so that made it even more fun. " Adam Michael has this to say “The aroma of bitter almond essential oil is almond intense and sweet nutty with watery apple and juicy cherry nuances. "
Are you considering it for its extra strength or flavour difference?

Bake from Scratch recently had a recipe from Pittsburgh bakery Prandl's for their Burnt Almond Cake. It's popular in town and my sister had it as her wedding cake. GayR notified me of the recipe and I sent it on to two of my sisters. Lynda made it recently (cake, pastry cream, icing) and said that while it was good, it was mostly vanilla flavored.

Now the bakery--while giving out the recipe--has said on other sources that it has a secret ingredient it does not share.

That got me wondering--as I'm inclined to do.
And here we are.

Bake from Scratch recently had a recipe from Pittsburgh bakery Prandl's for their Burnt Almond Cake. It's popular in town and my sister had it as her wedding cake. GayR notified me of the recipe and I sent it on to two of my sisters. Lynda made it recently (cake, pastry cream, icing) and said that while it was good, it was mostly vanilla flavored.

Now the bakery--while giving out the recipe--has said on other sources that it has a secret ingredient it does not share.

That got me wondering--as I'm inclined to do.
And here we are.
Marilyn, Could the secret ingredient be Almond Paste?

GayR, honestly, I have no clue. I haven't tasted the cake in years, so I'll be working blind from a taste-perspective.
Last Christmas I bought a burnt almond cake from another bakery and was very disappointed in it. Extremely expensive and all I could taste was sugar.

I'm going to try a few test runs once I have an oven again.

Did the original have a custard layer? Because we had a bakery famous here for burnt almond cake. Pretty much if you grew up here you both had and had been to celebrations serving it. Well, even though it burned down several years ago, and there’s a family fight about reopening, annnd a cousin with their own rivalry bakery claiming to make it too (I finally had some and it’s not as good). Burnt almond cake is a big deal here, and ours had a custard filling.

I’ve been on the hunt for a copycat of the closely guarded recipe for decades. I have several someday I plan to test, but this one had the custard, with almond flavor, which imho was key. Some recipes are just vanilla cake with almonds on the outside, which is…wrong, lol. See what you think of this. I’d likely not consider extract optional in the cake as I love almond flavoring. (I always use almond extract vs vanilla in my sugar cookie icings.) I don’t think I’d use bitter almond. I have a vague memory it tastes very different, but it’s so vague I’m not sure.

Did the original have a custard layer? Because we had a bakery famous here for burnt almond cake. Pretty much if you grew up here you both had and had been to celebrations serving it. Well, even though it burned down several years ago, and there’s a family fight about reopening, annnd a cousin with their own rivalry bakery claiming to make it too (I finally had some and it’s not as good). Burnt almond cake is a big deal here, and ours had a custard filling.

I’ve been on the hunt for a copycat of the closely guarded recipe for decades. I have several someday I plan to test, but this one had the custard, with almond flavor, which imho was key. Some recipes are just vanilla cake with almonds on the outside, which is…wrong, lol. See what you think of this. I’d likely not consider extract optional in the cake as I love almond flavoring. (I always use almond extract vs vanilla in my sugar cookie icings.) I don’t think I’d use bitter almond. I have a vague memory it tastes very different, but it’s so vague I’m not sure.

There is this one as well in my try file

There is this one as well in my try file

and in this story they caramelize the top. (The nut topping in this second recipe isn’t right.)

Ha…the Pittsburgh baker said he got the idea years ago while in CA where almond growers were promoting almond desserts. Sarah’s wedding was over 25 years ago and the cake was already popular by then in Pittsburgh.

I wonder…

The Pittsburgh version has a pastry cream filling, which is just a thicker version of custard.

I’m going to make a simple pastry cream and divie it up to test: vanilla, almond extract, and bitter almond extract (Dr.Oetker).

This one actually uses a diplomat filling (custard/pastry cream lightened with whipped cream). That would have a different mouth feel.

My bitter almond (made in Germany) arrived yesterday. New stove hasn’t arrived yet but stovetop is still working. So making the pastry cream is do-able.

I’m still searching for the perfect pastry cream. I've tried all my favorite pastry chefs (Rose, Joanne, Carole, Sarah Beth, Julia (genuflecting), Stella, etc). I can always taste the corn starch, regardless of cooking time.

Maybe it’s time to crank out the Excel spreadsheet method and see what the differences are.

Also, seems some definitions of custard are clearly different than pastry cream. Egg custard has no flour or cornstarch. Other “custards” do add a thickener.

The more I know, the less I obviously know.

Last edited:
I'm curious how the custard test comes out.

My mom did use Dr. Oetker products, but I remember only the McCormick almond extract in her American kitchen.

I'm reading up on almond extract vs. bitter almond extract, and I'm getting the feeling it's more about labeling than anything else. It appears that most "almond extracts" are actually made from the pit kernels of other fruits like apricots. They are in the same genus, but are far cheaper to come by, since they are almost always thrown away. Almonds are expensive, and true Almond Oil is expensive as a result. Some sources say almond extract is often labeled to include 'bitter almond oil' as the main ingredient.

I'm putting my money on an "no difference" outcome, but we'll see!

Back