Dreadful Flu, 3 stuffed turkeys and two large hams later and Christmas Eve a success, long chat

joanie

Menu:Egg Mousse and

cucumber mousse with Pim's Number 1

Shrimp wrapped in bacon, grilled

Smoked salmon on blinis with creme fraiche and caviar

3 turkeys with sausage stuffing one side and bread stuffing the other

Gravy

roast potatoes

2 pineapple glazed hams

(I forgot the wonderful cranberry sauce I made)

Leeks

Butternut squash

Balsamic glazed onions

cauliflower and broccoli almondine

2 different salads one with pomegranite seeds, one feta cheese and olives

Christmas cake (an island traditonal one)

Cheese cake with an amaretto biscuit base

Caramel Pecan tarts

Pinapple Fluff

Traditional boiled Xmas pud and brandy butter

Thanks to all the good advice everything went very well with the turkeys, and everything else too.

The worst of it all, I could not smell the wonderful cooking smells coming out of the kitchen, I had hot waves and dizzy spells and then a horrid 2 hour spasm of tight chest...Urrghh! but with 27 to a sit down meal in a few hours I could not stop for a minute. A darling friend came by and really helped out from noon, I would not have been able to get everything looking as good as it did without her help.

She did the salads and a dessert.

My Mum of 80 took charge the brandy butter and of the Xmas pudding done in the microwave for the first time ever, it worked a charm, no more 3 hour boiling.

Three bags of baking potatoes previously peeled had to be par-boiled before being stove-top deep fried...no room in the oven for the real thing unfortunately.

I was really concerned that things would be a wash out, literally, as the rain came down in buckets during the day. I had asked a friend sail maker at the 11th hour if it was possible to make an awning and supplied the measurements not thinking that anything would come of it. This dear friend worked after noon on the 23rd (after everyone else had left) to finish the awning....that was great...truly a life saver in the circumstances but the only one available to put it up was me and a gardener who has been known to drill his finger with the electric drill....

So in between stuffing turkeys, making cheesecake and setting up the dining tables, sloshing around in puddles and being soaked from the downpours (remember tropical rain means WET) I was up the ladder, with the chap on another ladder, pulling and stretching the awning and trying to screw in the wooden slats to the roof eves dodging raindrops...darn hard wood as it turns out. Had to have the chap push the drill from the back and try to keep the drill straight therefore the screws straight...etc.... OK, I'll admit I stripped the heads of 3 screws, I'll have to get a carpenter in to deal with putting this all up in a decent fashion after New Year.

A good thick line of black roof gunk along the top of the awning next to the wood and Bob's your Uncle, there was a Non-leaky awning in place...and you know what?????

DH did not even notice it until the next morning when he said as he was waking up...."I told you the rain would not wet everyone standing around the bar!"....My silence and crinkling eyes (it was so hard not to laugh) made him go to the area and LOOK...oh Lol! did we laugh then.

One thing I should have done during the turkey cooking was to turn the 2 turkeys side by side in the one roasting dish to have the other sides together. I cooked the turkeys until 165* inside. These inner legs were just slightly pink, I have them frozen for another meal. Other than that I only have carcasses left with very little meat. I do have a least half a ham left over which I'm glad about, love left overs to be used in a pie later.

It appears that New Years day I will have about 30 coming over but this time I going casual with a pot luck Barbie.

Now if only I can get rid of this tight chest!

Joanie, you're the hostess with the mostest....

performing with valor beyond the call of duty. What a story! You deserve a week off in the Carribean! Oh wait......well a week off anyways. Take hot baths and Robitussen all week and let the pot-luckers do the work on New Year's.

When you're feeling better, could you share your Microwave Xmas pud recipe?

Joanie, once again, you are my Hero!

Amazing! I am sure you could probably get an assigmnent at any military base teaching survival skills. Ranger School would be proud to have you!
You take it easy, and drink lots of fluids and as Joe instructed, let the Pot Luckers take care of the New Years party.
Hugs to you,
Feel better,
marg

In a very tiny voice Joe.....

the pud was brought to me from Marks 'n Sparks in England by my DD. The jiggling of space with the boiling was soooo not on, and the microwaving was just the thing, Lol!, I do have good recipes I've used over the years but this was such an easy cheat! The heating of the brandy caused a bit of a breathless moment, the first lot, heated in the microwave again didn't light and with GG waiting, shoulders hunched, one of those quick gas lighters at the ready, DD and I set about warming some more. DD filled a bowl with brandy and heated it longer in the micro...while I set about heating some in a thin lid of a camping aluminium pot on the stove. As DD thought to try and light the bowl to see if it would work, my brandy caught alight and the 2 of us were there jiggling the flaming mixes over the pud which darling GG now did not have to light.
How to put out the flame so GG could have a chance to light it all....OH, LOL! "too bad darling, next Christmas we will see you get a chance".

Joanie I'm relieved to know that along with everything >>

else you didn't also make plum pudding from scratch! I've read recipes before and stopped at the 3-hour steaming part. And I've never gotten a dessert to flame at the right moment--either it won't light at all or it flares up and singes eyebrows in the kitchen then dies out before it gets to the table.

Hope your voice is better today!

Back