Dyslexic Bittersweet Chocolate Sauce: Small Batch

marilynfl

1/4 C pure cane sugar

3 oz (6 TBL) evaporated milk

2 tsp water

2 TBL Karo

3 oz 70% bittersweet Belgium chocolate

2 oz 54% semisweet Belgium chocolate

1/4 C (2 oz) Plugra butter, slightly soft and cut into pieces.

In a small heavy pot add the water, evaporated milk, sugar, and corn syrup. Over medium low heat, stir and bring to simmer, then cook for 2 minutes to completely dissolve the sugar.

In a separate bowl, melt the chocolate over simmering water.

Using a small strainer, strain the sugar/milk liquid over the melted chocolate.

Stir until the chocolate is incorporated.

Then slowly stir in the butter chunks. Be sure the chocolate is not too hot or the butter will liquify before being emulsified into the chocolate blend.

Makes 1 1/4 cups of sauce.

Marilyn's Note:
The % chocolate used in this is variable. You can use 5 ounces of 53% all the way up to 72% or a blend as I usually use. It all depends on your preference. 53% is the standard for Callebaut "semi-sweet" but I haven't found that for a while. Use a good candy bar for this, like Lindt or Godiva.

Final step: Since writing this up years ago, I now know that the temperature of the hot melted chocolate should be no higher than 140 degrees BEFORE adding the butter as the last step. If it is too hot, the butter will melt before emulsifying and will eventually exude.

I use a stick blender at the end to smooth everything out.

You can add vanilla, but I've never noticed an improvement when using it and now consider it a waste of vanilla. Your choice.
Same with salt. You can add a bit of salt if you want.

Last edited:
Back