Easy Recipes and ideas for 30th Birthday party...

karensoca

At the last minute, I have decided to give our daughter a suprise 30th birthday party. It's on Friday for about 30 people...can't decide what to fix, but I'm making cheesecakes for dessert, (her favorite, Ina Gartens Raspberry Cheesecake). Time's running out and now I'm panicing.

Hi Karen, I tried to post this before, but my computer hates me today>>>

This is the 3rd time!
I thought maybe some old faves would save you some time and make your life a little easier.
lasagna
sausage and peppers
baked ziti
fried chicken
bar-b-que
chili
big green salad
bread and rolls
All except for the salad ( of course) can be made ahead of time and put into steam trays to stay hot.
I am trying to decide what to make for DJ's coming home party when he gets leave in March and find myself in the same boat as you. However I have a full month.
You are one special lady to do this with only 4 days notice.
hugs to you.
marg

I agree with Marge..... (FRC)

Because these are the things that are easy to make in short notice and are great!

Several times a year I do a big chili feed with all the trimmings and that is always great! I have made 20 qts at once in my big electric roaster! smileys/smile.gif

My family often requests lasagne for birthdays and celebrations. We had it Christmas Day this year! smileys/smile.gif (2 HUGE pans - one reg and one veggie)

With the cheesecakes you are making all you'd really need is a nice platter of antipasta, salad, garlic bread, etc.

No matter how much lasagna I make - it's always gone in 24 hours! We had 14 people and they ate huge plates and went back several times the rest of the day.

I love doing lasagna because you can do it in stages. I made my sauces up 2 days prior then assembled on Christmas Day. I saute` the veggies for the veggie ones in olive oil and garlic, all but the spinach. I make the veggie ones with a simple alfredo sauce. It's TDF.

Your daughter will be sooo pleased at the surprise! Have FUN!

PS I know how you must feel with your DD turning 30! I couldn't believe I could have a DAUGHTER who was 30 when I WAS STILL 30!!! hehe
(where did the years go, besides to my hips???) smileys/smile.gif

It's between chicken tortilla casserole and lasagna...

I have a sister in law that makes great lasagna, so I try not to compete smileys/smile.gif, I'm going today to get all the ingredients and find some cute things at the party store. I'd like to make a salad with what I make, but if it's chicken tortilla casserole, its hard to pick a salad to go with it. Here I go!

Mexican is ALWAYS great! smileys/wink.gif

A green salad loaded with veggies is what I serve with Mexican. And you can't go wrong with stacks and stacks of hot corn and flour tortillas! (don't forget the butter) smileys/wink.gif

YUM - I need to eat lunch.

How about Joe's orange avocado salad...

I recently served Gayle's Chicken and Green Chile Soup with Tamale Dumplings (which was wonderful, thanks Gayle), and accompanied it with Joe's salad. The orange/avocado combination is very nice with Mexican flavors. I used the Cuisine Perel Walnut Oil that was so fragrant and flavorful that it almost made this salad into dessert.

Orange Avocado Salad with Pine Nuts. Everyone goes nuts over this >>>
simple salad. It's one of those recipes
where the whole is greater than the sum of
its parts.

AVOCADO SALAD

from Classis Home Cooking by Mary Berry and
Marlena Spieler

Arrange in a bowl:

6 cups mixed salad greens
2 oranges, peeled, pith removed, separated
into segments
2 avodados, pitted, peeled and sliced right
before serving
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Combine and pour over salad:

finely grated zest of one orange
3 Tbs. orange juice
1 Tbs. walnut oil
1-2 tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper (lots)

Toss gently.

Serves 6.

(I always include some endive and radicchio
in the salad mix for color and a touch of
bitterness. I also like to save out some
of the orange, avocado and nuts to strew on
top after the salad is tossed, and drizzle
them with a little more dressing.)
joe

How about Fiesta Salad? Rec inside

2 tomatoes, sliced
1 small red onion, coarseley chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
1 each green,yellow & red bell pepper, chopped
1 can diced green chiles
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
3 tbsp salsa
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp garlic salt
1/4 tbsp pepper
1/4 tbsp ground cumin

Or corn and bean salad?

1 15-oz can white corn, drained
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 14.5-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 large jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon crushed Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine all ingredients except lime juice, oregano, and cumin and gently mix. Pour dressing (lime juice, oregano, cumin) over and toss to coat; refrigerate until using.

I make these types of salsa/salads and love them with Mexican...

Though I admit we tend to use it as an extra salsa! (LOVE salsas!!!)

Viva la Pica de gallo! smileys/smile.gif

ISO: Chicken Tortilla Casserole

Karen, Would very much like to know which recipe for chicken tortilla casserole you are using. I did a search here but didn't come up with anything. You don't have to post but just let me know source and I'll look it up...Thanks, Steph

Chicken Tortilla Casserole Recipe...

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

12 Corn Tortillas
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can water
4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
4 oz green chilis diced
16 oz sour cream
4 cups cheese, cheddar and jack mixed
Mix soup, water, chicken and sour cream in sauce pan. Heat til bubbly.
Fry tortillas lightly. Cut tortillas in large pieces. Layer in casserole dish alittle chicken mixture then tortillas then chicken mixture then cheese. Continue with layers til all used up ending with cheese. Bake at 275 60 minutes til bubbly and cheese is melted.

I got this recipe from a friend, she can't remember where she got it, but it's a favorite. Hope you enjoy it!

Well, now I'm making French Dip Sandwiches in the Crock Pot...

My husband put in a big request...he talked me into it. I'm on a low carb diet, if I make the sandwiches, it will save my diet... I love chicken enchiladas, any kind actually but I now have 4 large crock pots going in my kitchen. I'm cooking them all night and all day tomorrow. Each crock pot has 2 4lb roasts in them, I hope they aren't too full! Too late now...wish me luck. Those salads sound great, I'm printing them out now for use later. Thanks for all the great recipes, also Thanks so much for this great site, Mimi, it's the best!!!

Back