Expiration of frozen pesto?

lizzy

I have a couple ziplock bags of pesto in my freezer that I made this summer. Is it still safe to eat? It has all the ingredients: basil, Parm, pinenuts, olive oil and garlic.

Thanks.

Liz

I agree--it should be fine. As a suggestion, just for future reference, >>

I think the result is better if you leave out the cheese and pine nuts when you make a batch to freeze, then add these fresh when you use it. I just top pesto-ed pasta with cheese and nuts and don't try to mix them into the sauce.

Not a safety issue; I just think it tastes better.

Most DEFinitely! I make mine the same way but leave the butter out if I am

going to freeze it (and only put in some of the cheese). But really, I have eaten it 2 years old.

I freeze it in baby ziplocks. I leave the bags on the counter overnight so the ingredients get to know each other. I then stack the bags in a Tupperwar type box. Best within the first year, but they are just fine even longer.

I add butter and more cheese when I heat it to serve.

Marg, butttter in pesto??????? But I do as Joe & you do.. I freeze

it in ice cube trays, minus the cheese, tho, must admit I have added the nuts..... will try it without next time.. and then pop them out into a zip lock bag and have them, really indefinitely.... they freeze beautifully.

Thank you...

...I was a little paranoid about botulism with the basil and garlic surrounded by oil. I chickened out tonight and used store bought pesto, but I'll use my homemade next time!

Liz

Moyn, I use a Marcella Hazen pesto recipe with butter in it- sometimes I

leave the butter out, sometimes I use it. Surprisingly, it is great with butter in it! It tastes....um....er....BUTTERY! How could it be bad? LOL

we just freeze the leaves in freezer bags...

i've made pesto with ten-year-old leaves and have tasted no difference.

Cathy, I'd love to see the recipe, when you have a chance.. live & learn! smileys/smile.gif NT

Sure- here it is REC Blender Pesto

Blender Pesto
Marcella Hazan- The Classic Italian Cookbook

2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
2 T toasted pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 T freshly grated Romano pecorino cheese
3 T butter, softened to room temperature

Put basil, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic cloves and salt in the blender and mix at high speed. Stop from time to time and scrape the ingredients down toward the bottom of the blender cup with a spatula. When the ingredients are evenly blended, pour into a bowl and beat in the two grated cheeses by hand (this is not much work and it results in more interesting textrure and better flavor than you get when you mix in the cheese in the blender.) When the cheese has been incorporated into the other ingredients, beat in the softened butter. Before spooning the pesto over pasta, add to it a T or so of the hot water in which the pasta has been boiled .

My notes: I don't follow the directions exactly. I use a food processor and double the recipe, adding more garlic than called for and processing the cheese at the same time as all other ingredients. I don't add butter until I am ready to serve the pesto, sometimes I don't use butter at all. If I don't use it I use more olive oil.

Back