Foods to take to Eclipse watch when you are traveling?

music-city-missy

Well, looks like we are heading to OH to watch the eclipse in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. We will travel up, around 400 miles, on Sunday and have a small get together that night at a cousin's house - about 8 or 9 people. Then Monday we will all travel another 60 miles to a farm field in the middle of nowhere for the eclipse stopping to visit other family members for an hour or two before reaching the field and have another 6 to 10 folks join us.

I want to take some sort of food to snack on because I don't think the cousin planning this was really planning on hosting this until they got put on the spot last minute. They normally really plan things out and put on quite the spread. But they are planning on all of us getting together at their house Sunday afternoon late to hang out and then ordering in something. Then they are suggesting picking up Jimmy Johns (SO not their style of entertaining!) before we head out Sunday morning and then eating that when we get to the farm.

They just flew up from their condo in FL today to "prepare" because the other cousin is staying with them. And they are flying back out Wednesday. So I feel for them and feel that she is probably somewhat stressing since this is SO not how they do things. When they come through here and stay with us, they bring cheese and things to have with cocktails and even bring things for breakfast like breakfast casseroles. So I want to take some homecooked things for the cocktails Sunday night and lunch/snacking on Monday. We will be at a hotel for breakfast so not so much worried about that. Looking for things that are either baked and don't need refrigeration or that require minimal refrigeration that a little medium size rolling cooler can easily handle with just ice packs since it will be about 8 hours on Sunday.

I am so stressed about so many things and this sort of being last minute, I am scrambling for things I can make tomorrow or Saturday without a lot of time. Savory and or sweet, things that probably don't need utensils, aren't messy to serve or eat, and while I could heat things at their house Sunday, heating stuff on Monday could probably be done but I would have to take catering pans and bunson burners which would be a pain. I am sure she will have cheeses and such.

Hummus, crusty bread, veggie tray, fruit tray, nut selection, thermos of hot soup with small Dixie cups for sipping, brownies, salsa & chips, hard-boiled eggs, pickles, peanut M&M or trail mix, sesame noodle salad, one of those family-size salad kits. Paper plates, napkins, cups, OJ & Prosecco (for toasting the fact that the eclipse is not a sign of the coming apocalypse)

I’m thinking finger-food, noshy stuff. Not sit down, knife-required stuff.

PROTECT YOUR EYES!!

Last edited:
I’m late to the party, but I’d just say sandwiches because mostly you want to be looking up and experiencing the surroundings. I traveled to Oregon for the 2017 eclipse totality and I’m jealous, enjoy! It’s breathtaking not only to see, but experience the atmospheric and wildlife changes.

so...MCM,, how was it? Was it worth driving 460 miles?
No, and thank goodness we didn't wind up going. LOL The painters started painting the exterior of our house on Friday and weren't going to get finished on Saturday with rain predicted most of this week which was going to make it iffy as to when they could come back and finish. I also haven't been great - taking an antibiotic that had my system all screwed up so I was wondering if/how I could make the drive. Then Saturday a little after lunch, hubby started feeling sick and his immune system isn't the greatest and he has asthma so he things usually hit him harder than most. So he called and cancelled our hotel and called to tell them we weren't coming. We got him started on ProBoost and for once, he didn't get really sick. But then, whatever bug is going around got me Wednesday. So we are all finally recovered and I graduated from my PT for my frozen shoulder Tuesday. YAY!!! I mean these were two of my favorite of his relatives and I would have love to have seen them but I really wasn't feeling it.

No, and thank goodness we didn't wind up going. LOL The painters started painting the exterior of our house on Friday and weren't going to get finished on Saturday with rain predicted most of this week which was going to make it iffy as to when they could come back and finish. I also haven't been great - taking an antibiotic that had my system all screwed up so I was wondering if/how I could make the drive. Then Saturday a little after lunch, hubby started feeling sick and his immune system isn't the greatest and he has asthma so he things usually hit him harder than most. So he called and cancelled our hotel and called to tell them we weren't coming. We got him started on ProBoost and for once, he didn't get really sick. But then, whatever bug is going around got me Wednesday. So we are all finally recovered and I graduated from my PT for my frozen shoulder Tuesday. YAY!!! I mean these were two of my favorite of his relatives and I would have love to have seen them but I really wasn't feeling it.
Glad you are getting better. That’s the most important thing!

Back