For the love of chevril, please help me figure out how to make this stuff: Sunny Paris seasoning

marilynfl

Michael in Sarasota originally mentioned it (thanks again, Michael!) and we went through the little 1/4 C jar over the Christmas holiday. Then we bought the next size (1/2 C) because I still couldn't believe we'd like this that much.

Then I bought two of the 1-cup jar.

Last week we were in Winter Park where there is a Pensey's store. I wanted to buy a "bag" of the stuff but they won't sell it that way. We paid $32 + tax for the 2-cup jar.

$32 dollars!

(Obviously I've never bought a real truffle or I won't be going crazy right now over this cost.)

Sunny Paris Seasoning salt free

This blend became so expensive to make that we removed it from the price list in 1987. However, many people liked it so much that they were willing to pay the higher price, so we brought it back.

Freeze-dried shallots, the main ingredient, make it an incredible seasoning for seafood, Cornish hens, chicken, vegetables, rice, eggs and veal. Simply sprinkle over salads, potatoes, or rice, or mix 1 TB. with 1 Cup yogurt and use as a dip or salad dressing.

Hand-mixed from: shallots, chives, green peppercorns, dill weed, basil, tarragon, chervil and bay leaf.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyssunnyparis.html

Not a recipe, but...

You might poke around the Savory Spice Shop site--they're a Denver company, and they do excellent spices and herb blends. My family's been buying spices and herbs from them since they opened about ten years ago, and everything is ridiculously fresh. The closest matches to Sunny Paris that I can see are these two blends: Paris Cheese Sprinkle (but that obviously has cheese added) and the Capitol Hill Seasoning. Prices are much better than Penzey's on those two, it seems.

Hope that's of some help...

http://savoryspiceshop.com/blends/bestblends.html

I googled "freeze dried shallots" and got lots of results. Expensive, but much less than what you're

describing. The other ingredients should be readily available, but maybe all you need are the shallots.

This might give you a start, Mar. REC: Sunny Paris Seasoning knock-off.

Sunny Herb Seasonings
03 Aug

Big THANKS to Nom Nom Paleo who was so kind for telling me what’s the ingredients for Penzey’s Sunny Paris seasonings so I could sort of replicate this on my own smileys/bigsmile.gif
Note: the missing ingredients are purple shallots and chevril

Ingredients:
1 tsp green peppercorns
1 tsp dried chives
1 tsp basil
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp parsley (substitution for chevril)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp garlic powder

Blend everything in your food processor and use it to marinate any of your favorite protein.

http://delightfultastebuds.com/2011/08/03/sunny-herb-seasonings/

I think the shallots are a big part of the flavor profile of this blend -

you could get them from Penzey's and mix your own.

Yeah, and it's like subbing carob for chocolate..onion is just not the same taste as shallots

Thanks everyone! I'm going to use Dawn's recipe and dried shallots. Even the clerk at Pensey's

(in Winter Park) said to store the jar in the frig because the shallots clump up.

Hi Bob,

I wrote the original post and never did try the blend. It was...and still is...my favorite spice blend for eggs.

Back