Fresh truffles on WOOT

Have never seen this before. Fresh truffles on website Woot. Arrives in time for Christmas use. Interesting.

there was an interesting documentary about black market truffles and Italy's efforts to combat the black market of truffles, prosciutto and other Italian specialties. In true Italian drama, it is as an apocalypse of authentic Italian culture for generations.

I'm going to assume these are from China... I can't find the name of the documentary but it was discussed on here a few years ago. But there have been a bunch of articles and news items about how shady the truffle trade is worldwide with everything from the Italian mafia to off the grid militia in Oregon and the Chinese black market.

I have not found the ones that are being cultivated locally here, yet. I do understand that they are succeeding.
And I have not yet won the lottery. But I can here the ching of the truffle slicer in Firenze, at about $5 per slice, kching, kching, kching.

This says they are from France/Perigord and will be shipped on December 20 overnight air. I was in the south of France one time during truffle season and a market had a mound of them.

Back