from CI: adding fruit jelly from low pectin fruit to stabilize whipped cream

marilynfl

It's pectin that helps keep the cream from deflating.
I thought this was a clever idea, but it's untested as yet as I have no way to process cream here.

CI recommends strawberry, raspberry or apricot jelly because they have a lot of pectin added to set them up.
Test jelly first by scooping a TBL onto a plate: if it holds a clean, domed profile, it's good.
If it slumps and is jiggly, it won't have enough pectin.

Measure 2 TBL of jelly per 1 Cup of heavy cream
Microwave jelly slightly until just melted (10-15 seconds)

Beat chilled heavy cream with sugar (2 tsp sugar per cup of heavy cream) for 1 minute.
Increase speed to high, add jelly and whip until stiff peaks, 2-3 minutes.

I'm looking forward to testing this.

oooh, most interesting. I may try this tomorrow since I do have my mixer with me. I wonder how long they are thinking about. 2 t. of sugar....seems pretty minimal.

oooh, most interesting. I may try this tomorrow since I do have my mixer with me. I wonder how long they are thinking about. 2 t. of sugar....seems pretty minimal.
Marg, it's 2 tsp of sugar per cup PLUS the 2 TBL of melted jelly per cup of cream.

For example: 2 cups of heavy cream would need 4 tsp sugar + 1/4 C jelly.

I usually add one heaping TBL of powdered sugar for 2 cups of heavy cream (plus 3 TBL melted butter) so I can't tell if this will be too sweet, not sweet enough or just right.
Goldilocks awaits your test responses.

I'm sorry, I did understand all of that. But....Wow, I guess I like mine REALLY sweet. I usually add at least 1/4 c. Yes, my family put sugar on just about everything.

Trying this tonight with a blueberry bundt cake, loose blueberries in the cream, seedless raspberry jam.
Marg, it's 2 tsp of sugar per cup PLUS the 2 TBL of melted jelly per cup of cream.

For example: 2 cups of heavy cream would need 4 tsp sugar + 1/4 C jelly.

I usually add one heaping TBL of powdered sugar for 2 cups of heavy cream (plus 3 TBL melted butter) so I can't tell if this will be too sweet, not sweet enough or just right.
Goldilocks awaits your test responses.
Welllllll, it definitely worked as a stabilizer. This was not a situation in which I needed it to be more stable but there is some left over in the fridge this morning and it is not even thinking about wobbling. Although it does taste fine, I guess I am a purist when it comes to whipped cream; I prefer it plain, especially if it is with something that is delicately-flavoured (and very sweet). Good info. I'll bet there will be an occasion that finds me using it again.

Back