GF Cassava flour and its substitutes have a photo op show-down

marilynfl

Recently I asked about cassava flour because I wanted to try a new cookie from Rose Levy Beranbaum's most recent cookbook. She calls it the most tender, melting-est cookie she's ever made. Now I already have a favorite melting cookie: "Marbalet's Key Lime Meltaways" brought over from the dark side, Aug 2000.

I found cassava flour at Ingles, a store which seems to carry every Bob's Red Mill product there is. It was $10 and my curiosity wasn't worth that, but then they dropped the price to $7 and I got sucked in.

I made the recipe and it was fine. But just that...fine. Marbalet's version still reigns as my favorite, so I dropped the idea to test the recipe with 2 alternate products. However I can still physically show the difference between cassava flour, tapioca starch and cornstarch. The cassava is more gritty...more like rice flour than tapioca or cornstarch, both of which have a silky, powdery texture. Also, the cornstarch weighed slightly less than the other two samples.

0806C7E8-20B2-4268-B883-3E4B4D608F74 copy.jpg 40E4EFFD-22AA-4913-828C-CD5381C294FC copy.jpg
367FD40F-8A2B-47D9-920A-4D85525F174D_1_201_a copy.jpg

Recently I asked about cassava flour because I wanted to try a new cookie from Rose Levy Beranbaum's most recent cookbook. She calls it the most tender, melting-est cookie she's ever made. Now I already have a favorite melting cookie: "Marbalet's Key Lime Meltaways" brought over from the dark side, Aug 2000.

I found cassava flour at Ingles, a store which seems to carry every Bob's Red Mill product there is. It was $10 and my curiosity wasn't worth that, but then they dropped the price to $7 and I got sucked in.

I made the recipe and it was fine. But just that...fine. Marbalet's version still reigns as my favorite, so I dropped the idea to test the recipe with 2 alternate products. However I can still physically show the difference between cassava flour, tapioca starch and cornstarch. The cassava is more gritty...more like rice flour than tapioca or cornstarch, both of which have a silky, powdery texture. Also, the cornstarch weighed slightly less than the other two samples.

View attachment 2240 View attachment 2241
View attachment 2242
I've not tried it for sweets, but years ago I made a Cassava Pie for Christmas Eve. It's a traditional dish for Bermuda Christmas Eve!

Back