Gochujang & Cheddar Pinwheel

marilynfl

This is the first recipe I tried from The Savory Baker (America’s Test Kitchen). It was an instant success that lasted until my taste buds got the memo and then all hell broke loose. My nose was running, eyes were watering and yet I continued to shove this crispy, cheesy, Dear God, spicy spiral into my mouth.

Will I never learn.

1 9×9″ puff pastry sheet, thawed for 30 minutes

2 TBL gochujang chili paste

2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 C)

3 TBL minced fresh chives

1 TBL sesame seeds

1 large egg, beaten with 1 tsp water

Dust counter with flour and roll puff pastry to 10″ square.

Smear chili paste over entire surface except for 1/2″ at the top.
Add cheddar, sesame and 2 TBL of the chives.

Roll tightly, seal ends and put in refrigerator for 1 hour minimum (or 2 days) to rechill.

Turn oven to 400 degrees and prep 2 pans with parchment.

After chilling, thinly trim off edges and then cut into 18 pieces. Lay 9 pieces on each pan and bake 14-16 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve at room temperature.

Sooo good. Sooo damn hot.

Marilyn’s Note: I’ll make this again but will use only 1 TBL of chili paste and thin it with 1 TBL of cream cheese. You can’t thin with a liquid or that will ruin the puff pastry. I think the fat in the cream cheese will insulate sufficiently.

Attachments

• Spicy Cheddar spiral 2.jpg
    Spicy Cheddar spiral 2.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This is the first recipe I tried from The Savory Baker (America’s Test Kitchen). It was an instantaneous success that lasted until my taste buds got the memo and then all hell broke loose. My nose was running, eyes were watering and yet I continued to shove this crispy, cheesy, Dear God spicy spiral into my mouth.

Will I never learn.

1 TBL sesame seeds

Roll tightly, seal ends and put in refrigerator for 1 hour minimum (or 2 days) to rechill.

After chilling, thinly trim off edges and then cut into 18 pieces. Lay 9 pieces on each pan and bake 14-16 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve at room temperature.

Marilyn’s Note: I’ll make this again but will use only 1 TBL of chili paste and thin it with 1 TBL of cream cheese. You can’t thin with a liquid or that will ruin the puff pastry. I think the fat in the cream cheese will insulate sufficiently.
That looks really good. We are having a family house party at the beach in May and this will be perfect to have for an afternoon margarita.

That looks really good. We are having a family house party at the beach in May and this will be perfect to have for an afternoon margarita.

Strange. When I went to reply I was allowed to do it at the bottom of Marilyn's post. And I could not erase it when this window opened for the reply. Just a note to Paul

Marilyn, I have all of the ingredients for this, so I may give it try soon.
My gochujang is "very hot" (it says so on the very Korean label), so I would certainly cut down on the amount I used. I have a fairly high tolerance for spice, but this one is over the top!
Thanks for the recipe. (And you rarely fail to make me chuckle)

This is my issue with anything spicy. I never know how spicy something is because I’m so sensitive to it I can’t even try anything that sounds like it has any spice at all.

Maria, I know your plight. My best friend is so sensitive to hot spice. Her lips literally blister. I give her recipes and she always asks, "is that very hot", I cannot answer because, to me I do not feel a thing, she simply has to cut back on the spicy ingredient and experiment.

This is the first recipe I tried from The Savory Baker (America’s Test Kitchen). It was an instant success that lasted until my taste buds got the memo and then all hell broke loose. My nose was running, eyes were watering and yet I continued to shove this crispy, cheesy, Dear God, spicy spiral into my mouth.

Will I never learn.

1 TBL sesame seeds

Printed!!!!!!!

I did an update using half goghujang and half cream cheese. It is definitely milder, so depending on who will be eating them, you can go either way.

Will I never learn.

1 TBL sesame seeds

Will I never learn.

1 TBL sesame seeds

Gochujang is hot, but it is a heat that doesn't hurt me for too long, if you know what I mean. It subsides fairly quickly.

My eldest son visited S. Korea last year. He had friends who live in Seoul, so they introduced him to the local eateries. He came home raving! He said he could live in S. Korea, if for nothing else but the food.

He's staying with us for a couple of months and we are cooking together. We just put six pounds of B/S chicken thighs, trimmed and scored, into a gochujang marinade. We'll air fry them later tonight. It's the second time we've made the recipe in the last three weeks. The finished product is so good!

IMG_0153.JPG

Last edited:
here is another basting recipe using gochujang chili paste. We put in on thighs and then wings. Wonderful both times. Be sure to read my notes as I cut down the amount of paste.

Back