Grilled Shrimp Skewers

pat-nocal

Grilled Shrimp Skewers

2 lbs. medium shrimp (usually use 21-25/lb. size)

3-1/2 tbsp olive oil

3-1/2 tbsp vegetable oil

2/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs

1/2 tsp garlic, chopped very fine (Pat's note: I used more)

2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped very fine

salt and black pepper

lemon wedges

skewers

Shell the shrimp and remove their dark vein. Wash in cold water and pat dry.

Put the shrimp in a roomy bowl. Add as much of the oils, in equal parts, and of the bread crumbs as you need to coat the shrimp evenly but lightly all over. You may not require all the oil indicated in the ingredients list, but if you have a large number of very small shrimp, you may need even more. When you increase the quantity, use olive and vegetable oil in equal amounts.

Add the chopped garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper, and toss thoroughly to coat the shrimp well. Allow them to steep in their coating a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours, at room temp.

Preheat the broiler at least 15 minutes before you are ready to cook, or light the charcoal in time for it to form white ash before cooking.

Skewer the shrimp tightly, curling one end of each shrimp inward so that the skewer goes through at three points, preventing the shrimp from slipping as you turn the skewer on the grill.

Cook the shrimp briefly, close to the source of heat. Depending on their size and the intensity of the fire, about 2 minutes on one side and 1-1/2 minutes on the other, just until they form a thin, golden crust.

Source: Marcella Hazan

Marcella Hazan says: "There is no other way I have ever come across that produces grilled shrimp as juicy as these. The coating of olive-soaked bread crumbs is what does it. When preparing it, bear in mind that there should be enough oil to film the shrimp, but not so much to drench them, enough bread crumbs to absorb oil and keep it from running, but not so much to bread them and form a thick crust."

Pat's notes: These are delicious and so easy. Great served hot with lemon wedges on the side. Also tried out a new jarred Romesco sauce on the side for dipping and that was lovely too. Sometimes I don’t skewer them and just lay them straight on the grill especially when I use jumbo shrimp or scampi.

A quick way I’ve found to defrost shrimp....just pull from the freezer, put them in a strainer, run under some cold water, and let them sit 7 or 8 minutes until they are thawed and ready to play with. Love the ease of that! This recipe would also be perfect for serving as an appetizer or main course to unexpected guests -- something delicious but not time consuming.

Back