Grilled Swordfish Verde

pat-nocal

Grilled Swordfish Verde

The verde on the succulent swordfish comes from the cilantro and chili marinade and a silky avocado mayonnaise. Start out with salsa and tortilla chips, and serve Mexican beer throughout the meal.

1 cup thinly sliced green onions
3/4 cup (packed) cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp grated lime peel
1 1/2 tbsp golden brown sugar
1 tbsp coarsely chopped seeded jalapeño chili
marinade can be thinned w/ tequila if desired
6 8-oz swordfish steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
1 cup hickory smoke chips, soaked in water 30 minutes, drained

Blend first 7 ingredients in processor until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour marinade into 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add swordfish, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, or let stand at room temperature 1 hour, turning fish twice. Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Place smoke chips in 8x6-inch foil packet with open top. Set packet atop coals about 5 minutes before grilling. Grill fish until cooked through, basting often with marinade, about 4 minutes per side. Serve fish with avocado mayonnaise.

Makes 6 Servings.

Source: 7/97 Bon Appetit

Pat’s notes: This was just delicious. Made half the marinade for 2 large swordfish steaks, marinated about 1 hour then grilled. Didn’t make the avocado mayonnaise and didn’t miss it. Have also used this marinade on sturgeon which was great!

Jada's notes: tried this on tilapia last nite, it was delicious. Half recipe was perfect for 1lb., I did add tequila, otherwise it's more of a paste texture. Marinated about 45 min at room temp then grilled on foil and didn't turn over while cooking. Used mesquite instead of hickory cause that's what I've got right now. I also skipped the avo mayo and didn't miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back