Have a ton of citurs fruit leftover from Christmas, and we are

dawnnys

we are getting sick of eating it as-is. Any good t&t recipes to use oranges and grapefruits in savory dishes? I have a good one for orange pork, but other than that, mainly recipes I see call for jam, not the whole fruit.

Just looking for ideas. Thanks.

A salad , not a cooked dish but very much T&T REC Orange and Onion Salad

This is so good and will use up a lot of fruit

ORANGE AND ONION SALAD
(serves 4-6)

4 medium oranges
2 small red onions
1 head of Romaine lettuce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp salt
a generous pinch of rosemary - fresh is best, but dry is fine

Peel oranges and cut into sections, removing as much of the white stuff as possible. Peel the onions and slice them very thin. Chop the rosemary. Blend oil, juice and seasonings, and combine with the oranges and onions. When ready to serve, add the greens and toss

Oranges as well as grapefruit (supremed) are great subbed out for the

fresh tomatoes in a regular green salad this time of year when good tomatoes are impossible to find. A viniagrette made with white wine or lemon juice or fresh OJ is excellent as a dressing. As is Thousand Island & bleu cheese-type.

I have a delicious recipe for Orange Chicken (chicken breasts), and also>>>>

Carrot, Orange, Radish Salad. Let me know if you want me to post either of them.

REC: Brazilian Black Bean Soup from the first Moosewood--uses two oranges and serves six.

Everyone I've served this to loves it, including my somewhat picky husband.

Brazilian Black Bean Soup

Ingredients

2 tb oil
1 c onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lg carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 c green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 ts ground coriander
1 1/2 ts ground cumin
2 oranges, peeled, sectioned, seeded
1/2 c orange juice
1 tb dry sherry
1/4 ts black pepper
1/4 ts red pepper
1/2 ts fresh lemon juice

Instructions

YIELD: Serves 5 to 6.

ADVANCE PREPARATION:
1. Rinse the beans. Cover them with water, and let them soak several hours (at least 4) or overnight.

PREPARATION:
Pour off excess water from beans. Place beans in saucepan with 3 1/2 cups water or stock and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, simmer 1 1/2 hours over
very low heat.

2. Saute onions and garlic in oil. Then add carrot, celery and green pepper. Add a little water to the vegetables to steam them along. Add
the coriander and cumin.

3. When everything seems just as it should be, add saute to the beans. Let the soup continue to simmer over lowest possible heat.

4. Add oranges, orange juice, sherry, black pepper, red pepper and lemon juice to soup. Give it a stir, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning. If you wish to think, add water; if you wish to thicken, puree some or all of the soup in a blender.

How about making some marmalade with them. Slice them very thinly...

Pour water to cover the fruit and simmer until the fruit is very tender and soft. Measure the fruit pulp and add equal parts sugar to the pot. Cook until desired consistency, and ladle into canning jars. Water bath for 10 minutes.
I don't really care for marmalade on muffins or toast, but I love to use it in recipes.

REC: Easy Orange Chicken>>>

Note: Whenever I make this, I lower the salt, (see my note in parentheses), because I always add a lot more garlic powder then called for, plus a good amount of onion powder.

EASY ORANGE CHICKEN

Edited from Hometown Cooking

"As the chicken cooks, the seasoned-flour coating thickens the orange juice into a wonderful sauce. Be sure to use the juice from fresh oranges, the recipe doesn't work as well with orange juice from concentrate."

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used about 3/4 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
(I also added about 3/4 tsp onion powder)
6 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds) (I used 3 large)
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 oranges, juice of (1 cup juice) (I used about 2 extra Tbsp)
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)*See note below
Hot cooked rice (optional)

Recipe:
1. In a large plastic bag, combine flour, salt, curry powder, garlic powder, and pepper; add chicken and shake to coat, reserving any extra flour mixture. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken breasts and cook about 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. (I cooked all three chicken breast halves at the same time, in 2 Tbsp oil, about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes per side). Transfer chicken to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Repeat with remaining chicken and oil. Stir any remaining flour mixture into pan drippings in skillet. Remove from heat.
2. Pour orange juice into flour mixture in skillet; stir until smooth. Pour juice mixture over chicken.
3. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, (I baked the chicken for about 25 minutes, basting occasionally), or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired. (I served it with saffron rice with a light orange flavoring).

*Note: If oranges are not sweet, add 1 teaspoon sugar to orange juice before adding to skillet.

Makes 6 (small) servings (or 3 generous servings).

You could do an orange upside-down cake >>

I looked and looked but could not find the recipe that was in Eating Well several years ago. The recipe used very thinly sliced oranges--almost paper thin--poached very gently in sugar syrup to almost candy them. They were very carefully, so as not to break them, removed from the syrup and arranged in overlapping layers in a well-buttered cake pan. Then a yellow cake batter, flavored with orange zest, etc, was poured over the top and baked. It was beautiful. Serve with whipped cream. It might be fun to experiment with this to see how it turns out.

Back