Heads up: NYTimes is merging their food subscription with the basic news subscription

marilynfl

Before, you had several options with NYTimes digital data:
  1. Full subscription, which gives you access to all content and all recipes
  2. Basic subscription (somewhere between $4 and $17 per month depending on how much you complained), which gives you access to some content and recipe articles, but NOT the actual recipe
  3. Food subscription ($40/year) for access to all NYTimes recipes
This past week they merged the basic and food subscription and now will charge $12/month; that is, unless you bi+ch, moan and complain like I do over a chat. I had been paying $4/month since COVID for the basic news. This was sufficient for me since I can only take the news in small doses. I was also paying the $40/year for the recipes.

NYTimes does NOT have a CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION option in your account. You have to talk to a human, who will do their best to convince you to get a more expensive option. But I can complain like the best of them and each year I have kept the price at $4 (option runs out each year). This year I managed to get them to give me $6/month for the next year for both basic and food. This is actually less that the basic + food subscriptions I was paying before.

So...if you do have an account, be aware there are financial changes. If you do want a subscription, CHAT with them and be adamant on how much you are willing to pay. I'm always quite honest about how little I access the data, but then also thank the Chat person very kindly if they have worked with me.

Last edited:
Before, you have several options with NYTimes digital data:
  1. Full subscription, which gives you access to all content and all recipes
  2. Basic subscription (somewhere between $4 and $17 per month depending on how much you complained), which gives you access to some content and recipe articles, but NOT the actual recipe
  3. Food subscription ($40/year) for access to all NYTimes recipes
This past week they merged the basic and food subscription and now will charge $12/month; that is, unless you bi+ch, moan and complain like I do over a chat. I had been paying $4/month since COVID for the basic news. This was sufficient for me since I can only take the news in small doses. I was also paying the $40/year for the recipes.

NYTimes does NOT have a CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION option in your account. You have to talk to a human, who will do their best to convince you to get a more expensive option. But I can complain like the best of them and each year I have kept the price at $4 (option runs out each year). This year I managed to get them to give me $6/month for the next year for both basic and food. This is actually less that the basic + food subscriptions I was paying before.

So...if you do have an account, be aware there are financial changes. If you do want a subscription, CHAT with them and be adamant on how much you are willing to pay. I'm always quite honest about how little I access the data, but then also thank the Chat person very kindly if they have worked with me.
I read the nyt online via my library. I could not however see recipes. (I can cheat and copy a recipe to view outside of the times, but not comments or anything.) I wonder if that will change? Currently, I just stopped and checked, I still cannot read recipes there. I have been able to read the food articles w my library access through.

Back