Help! Need to substitute and not sure how... re: John Thorne's Cake

gayle-mo

A friend's mom died and I was going to make this cake to take over. REC: posted above. I searched my pantry have everything on hand except a chocolate instant pudding. I have a cappuccino flavor and a vanilla flavor. Would you use one of these and add cocoa powder or just plain? It's not possible for me to run to the store today.

What's everyone's opinion? Should I make something else?

HELP!

TIA!!!

Not that I have ever tried it, but I would use the capuccino...

With the chocolate cake mix and chocolate chips called for in the recipe, I think the flavor of the vanilla pudding would just be lost. Let us know if you do use the cappucino. You may inspire all kinds of new combinations.

I think either one would be fine. I think I would choose the cappuccino one myself.

I thinned the batter a bit with water thinking it was too stiff, and afterwards wondered why I didn't use some nice strong coffee to thin it. I asked about this and was assured that the very thick batter is fine, but I might use some espresso next time or find that cappuccino pudding.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, also!

I just got my granddaughter down for her nap so am going to start on it.

Going to use the cappuccino flavored pudding and some espresso to thin it. Not that it needs it but mainly for the flavor. Using a mocha glaze!

Sounds great, huh? Too bad I can't taste it since it's going somewhere! (I'd make one for home, too, but there's that dirty 'D' word going on here) hehe

John Thorne's Cake

I don't call this cake by that name since I have been making it for my son's birthday every year since he was 8 years old, and he is now 43. The recipe as originally given to me was for Yellow Cake and Chocolate Pudding. Not quite as rich and everyone has alwaysd raved about it. An optional way was Chocolate cake mix and chocolate pudding. Since I have always made it with yellow cake and chocolate pudding, I would use the vanilla pudding. I also use mini chocolate chips as they spread more evenly through the cake. Good luck

Sandy, thanks for info. This was the name that Ron in Worchester posted it by

at Gail's, I think. Evidently, someone named John Thorne made it and gave the recipe to Ron, but I'm not sure. Anyone know how it became known as John Thorne's Cake??

I made it with the Devil's Food, cappuccino pudding, choc chips and 1/2 cup espresso. Plus, of course, the two eggs and sour cream.

Evidently it turned out good because there wasn't any left at the meal I took it to, I was told. I wasn't there.

Your way sounds great, too! Thanks for the input!

I heard from those who served the meal that there was no cake left...

But everyone in the family went back home (to other towns) so I really don't have any feedback on how it went over other than it all eaten.

I'm sure it must have been great!

Thanks for the help!

((hugs))

Back