Herb-Crusted Flank Steak with Cherry Tomatoes and Olives

mimi

Originally posted by Pat-NoCal

Herb-Crusted Flank Steak with Cherry Tomatoes and Olives

Marinate the steaks one to eight hours before grilling. What to drink: A red wine with ripe fruit (such as Côtes du Rhône) or a pale ale.

Steak

2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (didn't have, used fresh oregano instead)

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

2 1-1/2 lb. flank steaks (Pat's note: I used a 2 lb. flank steak)

1 tablespoon olive oil

Tomatoes

2 cups halved cherry tomatoes

1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives

1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted brine-cured green olives

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar

For steak:

Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Place steaks in large glass baking dish. Brush steaks with olive oil. Rub with herb mixture. (Pat's note: I added the olive oil to the herb mixture, combined and spread over both sides of the steak). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours (Pat's note: I marinated 1-1/2 hours because that's all the time I had).

For tomatoes:

Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Season tomatoes to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill steaks until cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer steaks to cutting board. Cover with foil. Let stand 5 minutes.

Cut steaks across grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange steak slices on large platter. Spoon tomatoes with juices over steaks and serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Source: 6/02, Bon Appétit

Pat’s notes: This was delicious, both the steak and the tomato-olive salsa. A definite keeper. Leftovers were nice for lunch the next day.

Back