Hi Paul--can you retrieve this old recipe from T&T? Thanksgiving is coming :)

I've updated that post with the correct link. The link says Brioche,... but it is in that thread and link should take you right to it.

Last edited:
monj, that is like my mom's (except she used milk & water instead of broth, like she learned to moisten meatballs in a restaurant. I don't remember EVER seeing a container of purchased broth in our home and Mom never made "just broth" for us kids.) Also, no giblets---see "8 children."

I make it now with broth and can tell you it works both ways: either inside the turkey or outside. Depends on your timing requirements (inside will take longer); safety concerns ( articles these days about not stuffing the turkey days ahead of time. Mom never did...she just started everything at 6 in the morning and then overcooked that poor sucker until 4 PM. I'm pretty sure there is a gene buried in our A, C, G, T DNA sequencing that dictates whether you can produce a moist, yet fully baked turkey. Because if there is, both mom and I are missing it.)

Inside stuffing will be slightly damp, clumpy, and flavorful. Outside stuffing will be crunchy, flavorful, but not as (in my opinion) the soft version. However it takes less time and can be served with other side dishes without having to disembowel Mr. T's carcass at the last minute.

One final note: I highly recommend a little trick I inadvertently discovered when I ended up buying not one, but two 3-lb bags of organic onions. I sliced a full bag (longitudinally? is that even a word), added a stick of unsalted butter to my tiny crockpot (1.5 Qt) & cook for several hours on low--you'll know you're getting close when you open the door from being outside and the house smells like a Ukrainian church basement hall. They will be very soft, but still pallid. This is it! Stop at this point. I portion 1 cup on soft onions in baggies and lay those flat in the freezer. Then, when I need caramelized onion (like for my stuffing, my peas, my mashed potatoes (God Bless you forever, Richard in Cinci)--all I do is pull out a bag, chop them into smaller pieces, add to a non-stick pan and saute until brown and caramelize---in 10-15 minutes! Not 45 minutes as needed when you start onions from scratch. Alternately, you can finish the caramelization process in the crock pot, but I want the buttered onions to finish cooking along with the celery for the stuffing, or along the mushrooms for the peas.

Back