How long can I keep stock in the fridge? My freezer went out, and I have

lisainla

a wonderful pot of turkey stock I was planning on freezing to use later. How long can I keep it in the fridge before it turns?

I would add one caveat to that >>

Once boiled , it should cool down fairly quickly. (technically, it should cool through the "danger zone," from 140* to 41* within 4 hours, and it will then keep for 7 days. It's easy to accomplish with an ice bath (set the pot in a larger bowl of ice and water) or a simplified system of ice in a zip-loc bag used to "stir" the cooling stock. Without a freezer. perhaps either of these ice mathods is a challenge, but that 4-hour time period is very reliable.

Lisa, since you probably do not have much freezer space available, this may not work for you...

but when I was selling soups at my Farmer's Markets, I used to take clean empty 2-liter soda bottles and fill them with water, and freeze them. When I would get done with a batch of soup and needed to cool it off quickly, I would submerge one or two of these frozen soda bottles in the soup, stirring it around occasionally, until the soup was quite cool, and then refrigerate it. It worked really well for me. Those same frozen liter bottles are also great to use in a cooler instead of ice. Layer some newspaper on top of the bottles to keep the moisture away from the food.
I would love to take credit for this idea, but it belongs to a vendor I used to work with.

Lisa, since you probably do not have much freezer space available, this may not work for you...

but when I was selling soups at my Farmer's Markets, I used to take clean empty 2-liter soda bottles and fill them with water, and freeze them. When I would get done with a batch of soup and needed to cool it off quickly, I would submerge one or two of these frozen soda bottles in the soup, stirring it around occasionally, until the soup was quite cool, and then refrigerate it. It worked really well for me. Those same frozen liter bottles are also great to use in a cooler instead of ice. Layer some newspaper on top of the bottles to keep the moisture away from the food.
I would love to take credit for this idea, but it belongs to a vendor I used to work with.

Thanks Dawn - a great idea. Right now I'm only working with the lower freezer in

our kitchen, as my chest freezer in the garage gave up to ghost. The inside one is packed to the gills, plus the fridge with stuff I could salvage from the outside.

I'm in some sort of infinite loop with Sears about a new freezer - we ordered it and it was supposed to be in on Thursday.....as of today, no one knows where it is. smileys/frown.gif

Back