ISO: How to store baked cookies for up to a month?

In Search Of:

marilynfl

So I have several spreadsheets working out the logistics of preparing 1,200 cookies for a May 6 wedding.
There are a few that say they last when frozen, but another one says NOT to freeze.

I'm wondering if I can just vacuum-seal them? Not using the vacuum-sucking part...just the sealing part?
I also have a dozen plastic bins, but not sure if those seal as well as metal tins. I've got a bunch of holiday tins but they're small and each cookie will be anywhere from 6 to 12 doz.

The three recipes I'm thinking of baking ahead are:
  • pizzelles
  • sables
  • meltaways

I think vac sealing is a good idea. You wouldn't pull the entire vacuum so as not to crush but you can get almost all the air out and seal.
I also think when freezing vac sealing would be good so no freezer odors get in. I think "flour" has a really big absorption possibility.

The one I’d be the most concerned about are pizelles. They can get rubbery. I would make those last so to try and have them fresh as possible. Sables and even meltaways I don’t see why you couldn’t freeze, then vacuum seal. I’d test one meltaway to ensure it doesn’t crush, but freezing and then vacuum gets most to hold up to the vacuum seal if they are laying flat and not double stacked. That’s how I did all my cookies for when we had the military drop.

As to your concern (above) about using plastic bins, I oftentimes pack baked cookies into Tupperware or Rubbermaid plastic containers and then slide those containers down into big clear plastic garbage bags that I tightly twisty tie shut after getting as much air out as I can in order to save freezer storage space. I even do this with my Christmas cookie tins. Now if I don't have as many cookies to bake as what you'll be cranking out for your upcoming wedding, I'll put Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers or tins down inside Hefty Jumbo 2.5 gallon storage bags with the sliders to seal. Either way yields a "double" seal. Wigs PS: I do not own a vacuum sealer.

Pack in the tins. Put a little crimp/bend in the tin around the edge or on the lid so that air can be pulled out. Then vacuum pack and you can pull a vacuum on it - just stop and hit seal if it starts to crush the tin. You can also use things like well cleaned tin cans even without a lid to pack the cookies in then put in bag and pull a vacuum. You just need some structure to protect the cookies.

Back