Hungarian Goulash

elenor

This is not a thick stew with everything but the kitchen sink in it and a big glob of sour cream on top to boot. Found a very nice and quite traditional recipe in "A Place at the Table" posted by "barb b 1" and tried to reply to her post but I could'nt so I hope she's lurking here so I can share this recipe with her. This was given to me by the Chef at "The Blue Danube Restaurant" and is like my mom made (except she never used a recipe). The only difference is we don't use vinegar in it at all but I bet its good with it also.

Hungarian Goulash

2 pounds beef chuck, cut in 1-inch cubes

2 tbls. canola oil (lard or bacon fat traditionally used)

3 large onions, finely chopped

2 large cloves of garlic, chopped

3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika

2 tablespoons flour

8 cups water

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon caraway seed (use a little less at first (1/2 tsp.

1 cup cubed potatoes

¾ cup sliced carrots

salt and pepper

grated egg drop noodles (tarhonya*) or nokedli(spatzle), boiled in water until tender.

Brown meat well in large heavy saucepan. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp.

Sprinkle paprika, pepper and flour over meat and onions. Cook for 2 minutes on low heat,

stirring to keep mixture from sticking. Add water, tomato paste

and caraway seeds. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1½

hours or until meat is tender. Add carrots, simmer for about 10

minutes. Add potatoes, simmer until carrots and potatoes are done. Add more water, if necessary.

Serve in a soup tureen with noodles or put noodles in individual bowls and add soup. (Do not put noodles in pot with soup and store overnight. The noodles will absorb most of the

broth.)

*Tarhonya can be purchased at most European Deli stores or use a small noodle about the size of alphabets.

Doubles and triples easily.

Source: The Blue Danube Restaurant

Yes, this does look great ladies. Will try tomorrow over some...

gnocci, or would that be a clash of cultures? ;o)

I like things with a new twist. Thanks for posting.

I dont think gnocci would be a clash of cultures at all.

Never made them but I think they are like a potato dumpling arn't they? If the gnocci will stand up in soup, then they will be fine. When you said "try over gnocci" made me wonder. Look up post #357.2 CHICKEN OR VEAL PAPRIKAS. If you leave out the sour cream but still add the flour, the ingredients are almost the same as the Goulash except for the quantity of liquid and caraway. This dish is call PURKOLT and is made with either veal, chicken, beef or even lean pork cubes. Cooking time depends on meat used. This is usually served with dumplings or noodles with a dolup of sour cream on top. GNOCCI, I think would be perfect. Add the potatoes and Carrots too.
I'd love your recipe for GNOCCI and how you use it.

T'was kind of a tongue-in-cheek question, but thanks...

The only thing I really would have to worry about is too much starch, but I can limit my intake of both (gnocchi and the potato in the goulash). It is cooking in my crockpot as we speak (I tweakd the recipe to make it crockpot- friendly).

I just buy packaged gnocchi at the local gourmet Italian import store. I have tried both the vaccum-packed ones and also the frozen ones, and they both are very good. I think somewhere I even saw some fresh ones in the refrigerated section of a larger store. *Sorry.* But I have seen them made on tv and they don't look to hard - anyone have a good recipe/technique for making them?

Back