I am always suspicious when someone says the best

Have you tried this one? I have a similar recipe from Silver Palate but it tends to sink in the middle, even when seemingly done.

I have saved this one, because I am an inveterate recipe trier!

I make carrot cakes pretty often and this one really is good.

I couldn't get the link to open to more so looked up the recipe. I prefer pecans. Her explanation for using baby carrots is a little labored IMO but it's OK--that's the way a blog works.

This one is Southern Living's recipe and I think it is much like the one I have also made from Cook's Illustrated. It is delicious. I usually make it in a 9X13 pan. For Thanksgiving this year I made one using a cake mix because I wanted to make it GF and had a GF cake mix. It was really good also.

I haven't done it but wouldn't ever make it with baby food!! LOL

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/best-carrot-cake

Not that I’ve tried it, but I’ve heard talk that this Canadian one is the best. Lots of Canadians swear by it. However, carrot cake is relative. There’s the whole add pineapple or don’t add pineapple camps. And my non baker sister-in-law just got a KitchenAid and she’s really excited to try to make carrot cake, Because it is her husband‘s favorite cake and she’s going to try to replicate her deceased mother-in-law‘s cake. That nobody has the recipe for and thank the gods because everybody in the room besides my brother-in-law thought it was the worst carrot cake we’d ever had. Hands down can’t even take a bite. Oh thank you, but no.

So seeing this post about the best carrot cake and the conversation last week about how my sister-in-law is going to try to make one like her mother-in-law really made me smile. 😀

https://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking-and-desserts/recipe/canada-s-best-carrot-cake-with-cream-cheese-icing-1

I stopped making the Silver Palate version years ago because, although delicious, it always sunk in the middle.

I completely understand that many don't feel it's a carrot cake unless it uses grated carrots, but I've been making one that uses carrot puree (also know as baby food) that we are crazy over:)

I made this one last month. I think it's the first time I've made a carrot cake. I liked it enough that I bought another can of pineapple. I would say that it was as good as the best I've had.

( but then, I am somewhat CDN)

I really like Dorie Greenspan's Carrot Cake--people usually ask me for the recipe.

INGREDIENTSFOR THE CAKE:

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

¾ teaspoon salt

3 cups grated carrots (you can grate the carrots in a food processor fitted with a shredding blade)

1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

1 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened

½ cup moist, plump raisins (dark or golden) or dried cranberries

2 cups sugar

1 cup canola or safflower oil

4 large eggs

FOR THE FROSTING:

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 pound (3 3/4 cups) confectioners' sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract

½ cup shredded coconut, optional Toasted finely chopped nuts and/or toasted coconut, for topping, optional

PREPARATIONFor the cake: Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour three 9-inch round, 2-inch deep cake pans, flour the insides and tap out the excess.Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside. In another bowl, stir together the carrots, chopped nuts, coconut and raisins.

Working in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a whisk, beat the sugar and oil together until smooth. Add the eggs one by one and continue to beat until the batter is even smoother. If you are working in a mixer, reduce the speed to low, if you're working by hand switch to a large rubber spatula, and gently stir in the flour mixture — mix only until the dry ingredients disappear. Just as gently, stir in the chunky ingredients.

Divide the batter among the baking pans and slide the pans into the oven. Bake the cakes for 40 to 50 minutes, rotating the pans top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. The cakes are properly baked when a knife inserted into the centers of the cakes comes out clean; the cakes will just start to come away from the edges.

Transfer the pans to cooling racks, cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool to room temperature. (At this point, the cakes can be wrapped airtight and kept at room temperature overnight or frozen for up to 2 months; thaw before frosting.)

For the frosting: Working in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and continue to beat until the frosting is velvety smooth. Beat in the lemon juice or extract.If you'd like to have coconut in the filling, scoop out about 1/2 of the frosting and stir the coconut into this portion.

To frost the cake, place one layer of the cake, right-side up, on a cardboard round or a cake plate. If you've added coconut to the frosting, use half of coconut frosting to generously cover the first layer. Use an offset spatula or a spoon to smooth the frosting all the way to the edges of the layer. Top with the second layer, this time placing the cake top-side down. Frost with the remainder of the coconut frosting. Top with the last layer, right-side up and use the plain frosting to cover the top — and the sides, if you want – of the cake. Finish the top layer with swirls of frosting. If you want to top the cake with toasted nuts or coconut, sprinkle on these ingredients now, while the frosting is soft. Slide the cake into the refrigerator for 15 minutes, just to set the frosting.Serving: The cake can be served as soon as the frosting is set. It can also wait, at room temperature and covered with a cake keeper, overnight. The cake is best served in thick slices at room temperature and, while it's good plain, it's better with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or even some lemon curd with a little whipped cream folded in.

Storing: Covered the cake will keep at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. It can also be frozen, uncovered, and then, when it is firmed, wrapped airtight and kept in the freezer for up to 2 months; defrost, still wrapped, in the refrigerator overnight.

This is nearly the one I make! (recipe from a French baker); main difference is I use carrot puree and 1 cup of raisins (I always buy the ones that are moist and plump (different package then boxed) - they are so much better IMHO.

Back