I have a 2lb pork loin in my fridge, should I trim the thick layer of fat off the top....

foodmuse

HI,

I have a 2lb pork loin in my fridge, should I trim the thick layer of fat off the top before roasting? I have no problem with pork fat, but I haven't been able to find any roast recipes that mention it. I figured I'd leave it on for moisture, but would love opinions.

Also I'd love any tried and true pork roast recipes. I don't have a crockpot though, so no pulled pork for me.

Thanks guys,

Muse

Pork loin isn't any good for pulled pork anyway--and it

isn't made in a crockpot.
If there is a whole lot of fat cap, I would trim it some.
I have given up dry roasting pork loin. It is just too lean and not very tasty. I much prefer braising it like in pork loin with apples and onions. Really delicious that way.

Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Onions
Serves 4

2 lbs center cut pork loin, trimmed to remove any excess fat and silver skin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage or poultry seasoning
2 tsp grape seed oil -or what you have
2 large sweet yellow onions peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
1 cup of dried apple slices, halved
2 cups chicken stock
1 large can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" to 1/2" thick

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Adjust the rack to the lowest position. Season the pork all over liberally with salt, ground pepper, and sage or poultry seasoning. Heat a large stewpot that has a tight-fitting lid, on high heat. (I used a Le Creuset pan, which worked quite well.) When hot, add the oil and brown the pork loin in the oil, all over, until deep golden brown. Remove the roast from the pot and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.

Add onions to the pot and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize and turn brown, about 8 minutes. Add the dried apples, chicken stock, and apple juice concentrate to the onions in the pot and stir. Put the pork roast back in the pot and bring the pot to boil on the stovetop. Put the lid on the pot and put the pot in the preheated oven. Cook pork, covered, for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the cover from the pot and add the Granny Smith apples and stir. Baste the roast with the pan juices. Return the pot to the oven, uncovered, and cook 1 hour more, basting occasionally with the pan juices I think this cooking time was too long; you don't want to overcook the pork until it dries out.) Remove pot from the oven.

If the sauce seems too watery, place the pork on a cutting board and cover with a loose foil tent, and place the pot back on the stove on high heat and boil the juices down until they are syrupy, stirring as necessary so the apples and onions don't stick. Omit this step if there is little liquid in the pot. (I didn't find this step necessary.) Taste sauce and correct seasonings if needed.

Slice pork and place it on a serving platter, surrounded with apples and onions and drizzled with pan juices.

I posted this one recently. REC: Pork Loin Stuffed with Prunes. And yes, trim almost

all of the fat as it does not enhance the flavour of the sauce. Just be aware of the temp so as not to overcook. I cooked it to 5 degrees above the stated temp and it was slightly pink and perfect for us.

BRAISED PORK LOIN WITH PRUNES

A boneless center-cut pork loin is incredibly versatile. Infused with the deep sweetness of prunes, it takes on the rich, robust flavors of southwestern France.

1/4 cup olive oil
2 lb onions (6 to 8 medium), halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced lengthwise
1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups pitted prunes (14 oz)
1 cup Armagnac
1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb) boneless center-cut pork loin roast (3 to 4 inches in diameter), tied
10 fresh parsley stems
2 large fresh thyme sprigs
1 large fresh sage sprig
1 California bay leaf or 2 Turkish
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 whole cloves
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (8 fl oz)
2 to 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar

Special equipment: a 5-qt heavy pot with lid; a 6-inch square of cheesecloth; kitchen string; an instant-read thermometer; heavy-duty foil

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 5-quart pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl and reserve pot.

Simmer prunes and Armagnac in a 1- to 2-quart saucepan 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Make a hole for stuffing: Insert a long thin sharp knife into middle of one end toward center of loin, then repeat at opposite end to make an incision that runs lengthwise through roast. Enlarge incision with your fingers, working from both ends, to create a 3/4-inch-wide opening.

Pack about 20 prunes into pork, pushing from both ends toward center (reserve remaining Armagnac and prunes). Pat pork dry and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375̊F.

Wrap parsley, thyme, sage, bay leaf, peppercorns, and cloves in cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with kitchen string.

Brush pork with mustard, then evenly coat with brown sugar. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in reserved pot over high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown meat on all sides (not ends), reducing heat if necessary to keep from burning, about 6 minutes total.

Transfer pork with tongs to a plate, then add white wine and reserved Armagnac (but not prunes) to pot. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.

Add broth, onions, and cheesecloth bundle to pot with Armagnac mixture, then add pork with any juices accumulated on plate and turn pork fat side up. Bring to a boil over high heat, covered, then transfer to oven and braise 30 minutes.

Add remaining prunes and braise until thermometer inserted diagonally 2 inches into meat (avoid stuffing) registers 150̊F, about 15 minutes.

Transfer pork to a cutting board and cut off and discard string, then cover with heavy-duty foil (temperature of pork will rise as it stands).

While pork stands, skim fat from surface of sauce (if necessary) and remove and discard cheesecloth bundle, then stir in vinegar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 8 servings.
Gourmet
Features January 2006; originally published 1951

REC: Braised Pork with Balsamic Vinegar

I agree, trim most of the fat off the top.

Braised Pork with Balsamic Vinegar
from Home for Dinner, by Lucy Waverman

“Braised on top of the stove in the Italian manner, this pork is juicy and flavorful with a dark, slightly tart sauce. I use the leaner end of the pork loin in this recipe. Serve with roasted red potatoes and rapini.”

3 lb pork loin roast
1 clove garlic, cut in half (used 2 cloves)
salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 T olive oil
1 T butter (skipped)
1 onion, sliced
2 tsp dried rosemary (or 1½ T fresh, chopped)
¼ c red wine
¼ c balsamic vinegar
1½ c chicken stock

Rub pork with cut side of garlic; then chop garlic. Season pork with salt and pepper.

Heat oil and butter in pot on medium heat (pot should be large enough to hold roast). Add roast and brown slowly on all sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pot.

Add onion, rosemary and chopped garlic to pot and sauté for 2 minutes. Add wine and bring to boil, scraping up any bits on bottom of pot.

Return roast to pot, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow some evaporation of liquid. Cover.

Combine vinegar and stock in bowl. Turn roast and baste with ¼ cup vinegar mixture every 15 minutes. Keep the roast moist but not wet. Cook for 1¼ - 1½ hours or until pork is tender and juices are clear.

Remove pork and keep warm. If pan juices are watery, boil down until strongly flavored, adding any remaining vinegar and stock mixture. Slice pork and serve with sauce.

Serves 6 to 8.

My Notes: I skipped the butter, used 2 cloves garlic and substituted 1½ tablespoons fresh, chopped rosemary for the dried.

REC: Pork Loin with Spinach-Bacon Stuffing

This one is on my "to try" list, so if you make it let me know how it goes...

Pork Loin with Spinach-Bacon Stuffing
from theotherwhitemeat.com

2 lb pork loin roast
½ c onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
5 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
6 slices bacon, cooked well done, drained & crumbled
3 T Parmesan cheese, grated
1 T Dijon-style mustard
1 tsp dried basil, crushed
¼ tsp pepper

Butterfly pork loin by cutting roast horizontally to within ¼” of the other side. Do not cut all the way through. Open out and pound to 8x8” rectangle.

Meanwhile, cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender; remove from heat. Press well-drained spinach between several sheets of paper towels to remove moisture. Add to onion mixture along with crumbled bacon, Parmesan cheese, mustard, basil and pepper. Mix well. Spread spinach mixture on pork rectangle. Roll up into a spiral. Tie with kitchen string to secure.

Place pork in shallow pan and roast in a 350°F oven for 45-50 minutes, until internal temperature (measured with a meat thermometer) reads 155°F. Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes. Slice to serve, removing string.

Serves 6.

You guys are the best, I ended up sliced very thin after freezing..

and mixing with soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, and green onions for a quick stir fry with celery and mushroom.

I have another 8lb in the freezer in 1bl freezer bags I will use your recipes!

Muse

Back