I made Charlie's Cranberry Scones last week.

Marg CDN

I felt a bit disappointed so put it away in the fridge for a week, thinking I might even toss it. First time I've done that. I should have realized that it would have a more intense flavour but what a surprise. I have this to say: After a week in the fridge, this concoction is so much improved. I add lime zest rather than orange.

I just noticed how many times I have written about this recipe. Thanks Charlie.

Baked dough or unbaked dough? (I'm thinking baked, but want to be sure.)
Unbaked cookie dough (oh, saying unbaked was unnecessary, huh) improves enormously if left in the refrigerator for a few days.

I’m also guessing unbaked. Sourdough bread dough flavor improves so much the more as it sits in the fridge before baking.

I felt a bit disappointed so put it away in the fridge for a week, thinking I might even toss it. First time I've done that. I should have realized that it would have a more intense flavour but what a surprise. I have this to say: After a week in the fridge, this concoction is so much improved. I add lime zest rather than orange.

I just noticed how many times I have written about this recipe. Thanks Charlie.
Marg--Where is this scone recipe by charlie? I did a search, but no Cranberry Scones come up as posted by him. Thx, Wigs

Okay...this is weird. Maria and I have been working with Paul, clearing up dead links in the T&T section resulting from the multitude of sw updates and changes to the application since 2005.

I thought this recipe might be in T&T under bread. It wasn't.
Then I searched for "cranberry scones" as posted by charlie in the entire site and didn't find it.
Then I searched for "cranberry" and got too many posts to review before the coffee the brewed.
Then I search for scones and charlie's name and didn't find it.
Then I thought maybe Marg has a hard paper copy and was using that.

So I made a cup of coffee and was reading the NYTimes and just decided to do a Google search for "cranberry scones" charlie and FOUND IT.

My issue: Why did my searches here not find it? Cause it's here.
Obviously, two cataract surgeries, new lenses, retina surgery and LASIK are no use when up against no coffee.

PS: Thank you, marg...for giving me yet another reason to wake up and bake scones. I found charlie's Chocolate Chocolate scones by Nick Malgeri and put that on my forecast:
I think I'm going to add cranberries to that.

Marg--Where is this scone recipe by charlie? I did a search, but no Cranberry Scones come up as posted by him. Thx, Wigs
I didn't post it because it came bouncing out of the site at the bottom in several versions, when I wrote this post. Now I don't see it there. But when I do a search for CRANBERRY SCONES I do see that I have written about it many times. Such oddities keep us aloive. But here it is.

Cranberry Scones Charlie 375 deg

Recipe By :Cooking Light/11-02
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:35

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
-------------------------
2 tablespoons chilled butter -- cut into small pieces
1/2 cup cranberries -- halved
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 large egg -- lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cranberries, tossing to coat.

Combine buttermilk, rind and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 5 times with floured hands. Pat dough into a 7-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 10 wedges, cutting into, but not completing through, dough. Bake at 375-degrees for 30 minutes or until golden. Sift powdered sugar over scones; serve warm.

I didn't post it because it came bouncing out of the site at the bottom in several versions, when I wrote this post. Now I don't see it there. But when I do a search for CRANBERRY SCONES I do see that I have written about it many times. Such oddities keep us aloive. But here it is.

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
Cooking spray

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cranberries, tossing to coat.

Combine buttermilk, rind and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 5 times with floured hands. Pat dough into a 7-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 10 wedges, cutting into, but not completing through, dough. Bake at 375-degrees for 30 minutes or until golden. Sift powdered sugar over scones; serve warm.
Ah yes, the postings were always by me, me, me and me. Charlie's original one must be gone. And I suspect you stated Charlie as the postee.

Okay...this is weird. Maria and I have been working with Paul, clearing up dead links in the T&T section resulting from the multitude of sw updates and changes to the application since 2005.

I thought this recipe might be in T&T under bread. It wasn't.
Then I searched for "cranberry scones" as posted by charlie in the entire site and didn't find it.
Then I searched for "cranberry" and got too many posts to review before the coffee the brewed.
Then I search for scones and charlie's name and didn't find it.
Then I thought maybe Marg has a hard paper copy and was using that.

So I made a cup of coffee and was reading the NYTimes and just decided to do a Google search for "cranberry scones" charlie and FOUND IT.

My issue: Why did my searches here not find it? Cause it's here.
Obviously, two cataract surgeries, new lenses, retina surgery and LASIK are no use when up against no coffee.

PS: Thank you, marg...for giving me yet another reason to wake up and bake scones. I found charlie's Chocolate Chocolate scones by Nick Malgeri and put that on my forecast:
I think I'm going to add cranberries to that.
Because Google has the best algorithms for search by far, that’s why they became the leader in search. My last resort is always to try a G search when a site search (anywhere) doesn’t find what I want.

Ah yes, the postings were always by me, me, me and me. Charlie's original one must be gone. And I suspect you stated Charlie as the postee.
Marg, that's what I figured too. If charlie posted it anytime between 1995 and 2005 when Epicurious screwed the world and Finer Kitchens adopted us, Paul wouldn't have that specific data. He has from 2005 until now.

And I was putting charlie's name as the poster. So that would have voided my search since his original post wouldn't be included in the data Paul has from 2005 on. Any cranberry scone references from 2005 on would be if someone has referenced it/him.

Lessons learned. Make coffee, drink coffee, then search.

BTW, after all that, I would like to say that I intend to do 1 1/2 times the cranberries next time. Fresh berries stand up so well to baking.

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
Cooking spray

Thank you very much, Marg! Wigs

actually if you search just as @marilynfl said "cranberry scones" charlie in the forum search the same will come up as google. The "tis the season" thread came up 13th in the results. The other results came up earlier in the results because they are newer. If you did the same search here and also used a date qualifier like Older than Nov 01 2012, (you can click that and you'll see the results) you'd see it come up in the first two results.

Google's search results are becoming decreasingly useful as they are de-prioritizing archival type searches and prioritizing pop culture, social, consumer and advertiser results. The RecipeSwap is using a built in version of ElasticSearch which is one of the best search engines and it is dedicated just to this site. I can continue to tweak it but a few things that would help would be things like users including tags in their posts and prioritizing keyword or phrase in the title. When you do the search keep in mind that posts here are going back many years so if you qualify the date you might get better results.

I swear on Sweet Baby Jesus that I don't know what I'm doing here. I've had 3 cups of coffee and a mug of tea so we can't blame lack of caffeination as the issue.

I tried that search again using the same words and here's what I get:

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.30.42 PM.jpg

Then I tried it with quotes...and I still don't get your results.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.31.20 PM.jpg

OK I see the problem. Two different search forms are being used. If you are using the main Search tab click Advanced Search and then you can include the date filter. OR if you use the "Search forums" in the submenu that will take you to the full advanced search form.

I swear on Sweet Baby Jesus that I don't know what I'm doing here. I've had 3 cups of coffee and a mug of tea so we can't blame lack of caffeination as the issue.

I tried that search again using the same words and here's what I get:

View attachment 1975

Then I tried it with quotes...and I still don't get your results.

View attachment 1977
I sure was busy baking last week.

When I did the search, it came up immediately, and in numerous versions, but I did not apply any other parameters.....just cranberry scones.

FYI updated the search system and completely rebuilt the site's search index today.

Back