I still have a huge piece of prime rib in my freezer. Any new unusual recipes out there? Thanks!

Dawn, during the 80's Cajun craze, I used to enjoy Blackened Prime Rib

at a now-defunct restaurant. I think they just used the same spice mixture that one would use for blackened red fish and sauteed a slice, (cut like a giant pork chop) in a very hot pan. It was out of this world. Just a thought.

Do you have a smoker? We do and have been wanting to try the recipe in the book that

came with the unit for smoking a prime rib. Haven't done it yet... but it's on the list of things to try.

I will only do "blackened" outside on the grill in my cast iron pan...

the fumes are just too strong for my kitchen. I will cut a couple slices and save them for when the weather warms up a little, which may before my husband remembers to fill the propane tank! (smile)

I do have one, but my husband is not very fond of smoked foods.

I think I am just going to marinate it and save a couple slices for blackening it. Thanks!

You asked for unusual... I haven't made it myself, but it looks good. Rec: Beef and Potato Salad

2 cups cubed cooked roast beef (prime rib?)
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes, cooked
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 to 3 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Lettuce leaves

In a large bowl, combine beef, potatoes, celery, onion, and pimientos. Combine the next five ingredients; mix well. Pour over beef mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve over lettuce leaves, no dressing needed.

Yield: 4 servings.

I've never actually blackened a danged thing in my life-- my interest in cooking >>

came about AFTER that craze; but I sure liked it when it when it was done well. Since my kitchen is not so well ventilated, if I'm moved to re-create this classic I'll follow your suggestion and keep it outside!

Back