Ingredients:

2 Cups all purpose flour

3 egg yolks

3 sticks butter or margarine

1/2 C sour cream

1 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

1 beaten egg yolk for brushing tops of biscuits

Preheat oven to 400. (Convection does a beautiful job!)

Place all ingredients in bowl of heavy duty mixer with the dough hook attachment. Begin mixing on slow speed and mix until the ingredients are well blended and dough forms sort of a ball. The mixer does a great job of blending. Remove to a floured board and knead a few times by hand to check for smoothness. Add flour only if neeed to keep from sticking to the board. You should still see chunks of butter not completely blended.

Roll out to 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Carefully fold bottom half of dough to the middle, then the top half to the middle. Fold the left side to the middle and then the right side to the middle. Place dough in fridge to rest for minimum of 15 minutes. After 15 minutes roll out again and repeat the folding process. Chill again for at least 15 minutes. Some classic recipes suggest repeating this two more times. I had the problem of finding the biscuits a bit dry perhaps due to adding more flour with each folding. They seemed perfect after two foldings.

Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut bicuits with a metal biscuit cutter. Roll each one between your fingers to make them slightly taller. Score top of each biscuit with a fork. At this point you can prepare for baking or freeze them. They puff up much better if they come directly from the freezer.

To freeze: Place the pogacsas on a floured platter or tray that will fit in your freezer. When frozen, place in plastic bags until ready to use.

To bake: Preheat oven to 400. Use convection setting if you have it. When oven is preheated, remove pogacsas from freezer and place on cookie sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg and bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake until golden brown, about 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.

*** The bread I ate in Hungary had paprika powder in the layers and some sprinkled on the top.

I will sprinkle paprika on the layers and some on the top before I bake them in the oven.

I can't wait to make these smileys/smile.gif

There are recipies of this bread made with yeast too, but this one looks like the ones I tasted in Hungary.

(The recipe is copied from The Orange County Hungarians.)

Back