Interesting video on methods of stabilizing whipped cream

marilynfl

Whipped cream is always a bugger if you plan on using it for longer periods than serving a dessert immediately.
This video is quite comprehensive and tests 8 methods in two temperature environments: very hot (90 F) and moderately hot (72F) for 6 hours.
The video is long...17.33 minutes, but you can jump around.

If you don't want to watch it, here's the winner: adding Instant pudding. It lasted in both heat tests for 6 hours without weeping.

Instant pudding
1 cup (240mL) cream, cold
2 tbsp (25g) sugar
2-3 tsp (6-8g) pudding mix (use 2 tbsp for very sturdy cream)
1 tsp vanilla (optional, but recommended)

1. Combine everything. Whip to desired consistency.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 10.26.57 AM.jpg

What is in pudding beyond cornstarch, as a thickener/stabilizer? I think it's time to buy a pudding and find out, I guess. (it's only been 60 years) I like to do a strawberry-filled savarin and in the summer, the cream could use some help.

Interesting! I haven’t watched yet, but will. I haven’t varied from using the gelatin method I learned here at the swap. I assume the reference is for vanilla pudding, but I don’t think I would like the taste it would add. I’ve use the gelatin method with great success, but then I’m not contending with humidity here.

(Except that one time I tried to make Swiss meringue icing three times in a row and failed ruining the birthday cake for my father-in-law. Later I saw that the humidity was 77% which I don’t even know is high or not, but seemed the only explanation as to why I screwed up Swiss meringue icing, I’ve never screwed up before or since, and I did it three times in a row. 🤷‍♂️)

Thanks for this - so interesting. By the way - under 9 minutes if you watch it at 2X speed (which I watch everything:))

Interesting! I haven’t watched yet, but will. I haven’t varied from using the gelatin method I learned here at the swap. I assume the reference is for vanilla pudding, but I don’t think I would like the taste it would add. I’ve use the gelatin method with great success, but then I’m not contending with humidity here.

(Except that one time I tried to make Swiss meringue icing three times in a row and failed ruining the birthday cake for my father-in-law. Later I saw that the humidity was 77% which I don’t even know is high or not, but seemed the only explanation as to why I screwed up Swiss meringue icing, I’ve never screwed up before or since, and I did it three times in a row. 🤷‍♂️)
He said the key is to add some vanilla extract to taking away from the pudding taste

So now that I watched the methods, I’m a little off put by the fact that some of these completely change the flavor versus just stabilizing the whip cream. For example, there’s a difference between regular icing and cream cheese icing, so I don’t even think any of the cheeses should be included. Assuming the video audience is a complete newbie, the end results of several of these, especially with the cheeses are not comparable In taste.

After seeing results, I think I would still choose the gelatin method as the winner, because it 1) does not change the flavor, that’s big for me. 2) I don’t find it, nearly as difficult to use as he did, and 3) you can always add a little more gelatin if you need it to last longer/be stiffer in the heat. Plus, you aren’t adding the chemicals that’s in the instant pudding or the flavor that’s in the instant pudding he admitted you could taste.

Here is the Wilton recipe I use, but note, it also uses powdered sugar, which has some cornstarch, so that may improve the stability according to his comments.

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
A Wilton’s Cake Decorating Recipe

Servings: 2 cups

Ingredients
    • 1 tsp unflavored gelatine
    • 4 tsp cold water
    • 1 cup whipping cream (35%)
    • 1/4 cup icing(confectioners) sugar — or to taste
    • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
Steps
    • Combine gelatine and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatine dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
    • Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. While beating, very gradually add gelatine. Whip at high speed until cream is stiff.
    • Yield: 2 cups

As a result, I just bought a vanilla pudding. I am making another strawberry savarin on Saturday. I have always used icing sugar to help stabilize, because of its cornstarch. It works well. Now, not knowing what van pudding tastes like, I am reluctant to use it. Oh dear. What to do...............

I used the Dr. Oetker stabilizer when I can find it. It doesn't seem to change the taste at all, but it's getting expensive now.

Back