ISO: ISO a pusher >> UPDATE: Problem solved

In Search Of:

marilynfl

First off...for those who scan quickly, I'm not looking for a drug dealer. I'm in need of the pusher used in a juicer because--having previously owned and then donated THREE juicers--I found myself suddenly wanting to try celery juice.

(This is all your fault, Paul.)

Strolling through the thrift shop, I found a Waring Juicer Extractor (JE405-1) (used on ebay for $47, priced $16 at the thrift shop, reduced to $6 and then 30% off on small appliance day) that I purchased for $4.50. I noticed it was missing the pusher (again, having owned THREE PREVIOUS juicers, I knew that component was important) so I asked the staff if I could look around the store because if you don't know what it is, it could end up anywhere.

No luck, but I figured the Internet was on my side. And it was--up to a point. Several part suppliers carried the white plastic, oddly-shaped pusher for a reasonable price, but gouged on the shipping. For example, $6.99 for the pusher + $19.99 shipping. Or $6.54 for the pusher and $24.99 shipping. Finally, I found a site (iParts) that had it for a reason price (below $10) with $8 shipping. At that point I was ready to cave, but then I saw in the small print that I would also have to join iParts for $10 a year to get that price. So now we're back to $25.

For now I'm going to try and McGyver a pusher because I refuse to be manipulated by shipping costs.

So please keep your eyes out for an oddly shaped pusher at your next yard sale foray.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waring-High-Performance-Centrifugal-Juice-Extractor-Juicer-USA-JE504-1-/143149990828

Editing this post to end the search for a pusher for my new el cheapo juicer. I made one with stuff I had at home: wooden dowels, rigid house insulation, my Dremel and Loctite glue. Since the only part that will touch food would be the very bottom of the wooden dowels, I sanded those down and used mineral oil, like I rub on my cutting boards. The shape was definitely wonky, so 3 offset dowels mimicked the shape.

No. That would make life too simple. This one is oddly shaped....like a half circle, but with a bulge in the middle. I almost wonder if it's so weird to keep users from putting anything else down it. I've just finished cutting three 2" long 3/4 diameter rods (God Bless Dremel) and will attach them with spit and a prayer. I'm on a mission now. No parts supplier is going to gouge me.

Oh...celery stalks themselves work well as a pusher. Just made 1/2 C juice from 4 stalks. Not bad--considering I'm not crazy about celery, but this is definitely doable. I don't think I could buy a glass of freshly squeezed celery juice for $4.50 + a bunch of organic celery.

oh, good idea. Let me check....

unbelievable....it's 2 mm too big. Honestly! The opening is 30mm and the Vitamix tamper is 32mm.

On the plus side, my homemade version is coming along. I've got the odd vertical configuration glued together and will attach it to a horizontal piece today. This keeps the bottom of the pusher from touching the blades. However, just feeding in celery stalks yesterday worked perfectly. I am beyond pleased at getting a working juicer for $4.50 (says the person who paid $150 for a used masticating Champion juicer off ebay--and then donated it. And the Jack LaLanne centrifugal juicer for $95--and then donated it. And a basic electric citrus juicer for $35--and then donated it.) The only appliance I've been smart about keeping is the Vitamix.

Oh ya...just realized I'd bought and donated four waffle irons.

I think I have a small appliance addiction.

Missed it by that much!

Sounds like your homemade version is working ok well though. Congratulations on the great deal!

Back