ISO: ISO Bonnie or MariaDNoCA re: Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip . . . and more . . .

In Search Of:

magnoliainchicago

We are planning this for a party this weekend, and I have a couple of questions:

Is there any reason why we can't get everything prepped up to the point of the first baking ahead of time, say earlier in the day?

Is there any reason why we can do the initial baking in an oven proof baking/chafing dish and then place over a warmer?

Off to Atlanta this weekend for the INFAMOUS Christmas After Party . . . people (150 estimated) are flying in from all over the country and I'm cooking (with a little help from my friends, the hosts!) I gotta get a better catering gig . . . not only do I have to the work, but I have to pay to get here! Well, at least I get to spend my friends' money!!

At least it confirms for me once (or twice a year) that catering is more challenging than architecture, so I go back to architecture for another year. When I get frustrated, I just go home and chop carrots!!

Wish me luck.

I am not Bonnie or Maria but I have made it the night before up to ..

the point of baking it was fine. I have done this several times. I also make mine in a metal chafing dish (not sure if that is what you were talking about) I think it would be fine in a oven proof dish also. I hope this helps

Thanks so much for the prompt reply . . .

That's what I thought as well. I think the baking/chafing dish is ceramic, but the results should be the same.

Thanks again.

Yes and no . . .

Depends on the year and the date, but I think B&T are settling on the third weekend in January for the party, so more people are planning it ahead. So yea, this year is going to be bigger than usual. There are also many more people coming in from out of town for the weekend (think we have to do brunch on Sunday morning as well - OY!!)

But, it will be fun.

And a HUGE HINT . . . it took me many years to convice my friends, but the BEST thing we do now is to hire a server for a couple of hours. I don't know the cost, but we have a server come in for a couple of hours to keep the table stocked, the bar stocked and to help with on-going clean up while the party is in progress. This way the hosts and I (after 14+ hours of cooking) enjoy the party. It's such a HUGE help. Previous to this I would spend hours in the morning trying to clean up . . . now it's just a question of washing up the serving dishes that were too large to get into the dishwasher. Personally, I think it is the best $$'s spent on the party. And I don't get treated as the hired help after so much effort . . . I want to bask in all that GLORY!!

I'll try to report upon return.

frc and COMN for rec: Creme Brulee French Toast

Love the server idea! I look forward to hearing how the party was and what you served. If I recall correctly, you made some cupcakes last year.

What a fun annual event! If you do end up making brunch the next day, you may be interested in Gourmets rec: Creme Brulee French Toast. It is so easy, and you can make it on the day before (What's one more dish!!) I add toasted walnuts or pecans to the butter/brown sugar mixture. YUMMY!!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/15213

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/15213

I want to second your server recommedation >>

I did a couple large parties at cost last year for family and friends, and in both cases I insisted they hire servers, not only so I could enjoy the party but so the hosts and guests wouldn't feel compelled to clear their own plates. Nothing kills a party faster than everyone jumping up to do the dishes!

In both cases, they say they'll never have a party without servers again.

You don't have to call an agency; your kids' friends or your neighbor's housekeeper or any number of people might want earn a few extra dollars.

Hope your party is a huge success!

Back