ISO: ISO CathyZ....

In Search Of:

joanie

I have been given a super book "Chefs of Aloha" and of course don't know quite a few of the ingredients...Need suggestions of what to sub for

"liliko'i" concentrate

Heaven and Earth Dragon Fire Sauce

"Huli-Huli" Pacific Poultry brand

"Moloka'i" sweet potatoes...are these the orange ones?

"tobiko" caviar

"sisho" leaves

"furikake" spice

just for starters???????

Such an interesting book, dying to try the unusual recipes.

TIA

J

Hi joanie - I do know what furikake is - it is a condiment that is

usually made up of dried chopped seaweed, sesame seeds, sea salt, and sometimes sugar and MSG and dried fish. You can sprinkle it on rice or noodles.

Yum!

Thanks Lisa.....

your info nudged my pumpkin-pip brain and guess what, I have some that I bought, not knowing what it is.
We have this wonderful Asian store with lots of interesting things to buy and try out,all lables are in what ever Asian language (often the assistants don't know the language either)
I was intruigued by this bottle and guessed I'd use it on rice when making Chinese dishes. Only tried it once, it was tasty, couldn't think of anything else to do with it.
The recipe I'm interested in says to mix furaki and panko crumbs and use that to coat and fry ocean prawns.

Thanks Lisa.....

your info nudged my pumpkin-pip brain and guess what, I have some that I bought, not knowing what it is.
We have this wonderful Asian store with lots of interesting things to buy and try out,all lables are in what ever Asian language (often the assistants don't know the language either)
I was intruigued by this bottle and guessed I'd use it on rice when making Chinese dishes. Only tried it once, it was tasty, couldn't think of anything else to do with it.
The recipe I'm interested in says to mix furaki and panko crumbs and use that to coat and fry ocean prawns.

Hi Joanie- here is your "translation" LOL

Lilikoi is passion fruit and it comes in a frozen concentrate that many chefs in Hawaii use in sauces- so something similar in a concentrate (thawed frozen) of guava juice, mango or papaya juice should work if you can find it. Passion fruit has a distinct flavor so you won't be able to find anything REALLY close- if nothing else is available, use apple juice.

Heaven And Earth Dragon Fire Sauce is not a brand I know (I assume it is a brand of bottled hot sauce) but it is probably just a hot sauce- maybe hot chili sauce with garlic or a Bird Pepper (tiny, red, fire-hot chili commenly used in Hawaiian cooking) based sauce.

Huli-Huli chicken is traditionally turned on a spit (huli-huli means "turned") and is found everywhere in Hawaii- Huli-Huli sauce is commonly made of ketchup, soy sauce, chicken broth, lime juice, pineapple juice, brown sugar, fresh ginger, garlic, worcestershire, Hawaiian salt and sometimes even a touch of Sherry. There are many recipes of course- and one can find bottled Huli-Huli sauce everywhere.

Moloka'i Sweet Potatoes are the purple ones, not orange. They are sweet and delicious but have a dry "meat" and are used extensively here in Hawaii- They are called Molokai Sweet Potatoes because the bulk of the crop here is grown on Moloka'i.

Tobiko "caviar" is Flying Fish eggs- orange and really beautiful as a garnish.

Shiso is an aromatic leaf from a member of the mint family. It is very different from the mints we commonly use. There are two varieties that I know of that are used in cooking (mostly Japanese cooking) and they are green Shiso and red Shiso. They are very different in taste. You can substitute fresh spearmint or basil but the flavor will not be the same of course.

Furikake is a mixed "spice" and here you can find different mixtures- combos of dried fish/salt, dried fish/salt/seaweed, sesame seed/salt, etc- it comes in a spice bottle.

Thanks CathyZ....

I grow passion fruit, the yellow one in abundance for the most part and a few purple ones...also have tinned fruit from S.Africa on hand. So that one is settled. Yummy, love the granadilla fruit to bits.
We do ocassionally get purple sweet tats so will try the recipes calling for them when I find that type.....
For the rest I'd have to sub.
Many thanks for your help again.
Hugs
J

Back