ISO: ISO festive but fast dinner ideas for Christmas Eve...

In Search Of:

mimi

We are making some changes to our usual Christmas Eve tradition this year. We'll be going to mass at 4pm so we'll be home around 5:30pm -- dinner time. I need something either...

- make ahead that I can heat up just before dinner

- sitting in the oven and ready to come out when we get home

Thanks!

Christmas Eve tradition here is French Onion Soup a la Julia (more)

and, even though it is a long and fussy process to make it, you can make the onion soup a day or so before and then after church, heat up the soup and assemble with cheese and bread, etc and quickly bake in the oven to melt the cheese. If you want Julia's fine recipe, I will be glad to post it for you.

Wow! "Embarras du choix" as they say here in QC. I'll have to do some thinking. Thanks guys!

REC: Oyster Stew

We've always had this for Christmas day lunch, and served baked ham sammich fixin's with it... It would be wonderful for a quick Christmas Eve supper, too.

Oyster Stew

1 pint oysters
4 Tbs. butter (no substitutes!)
1 pint whole milk
1 pint cream
1 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or lightly crush a small clove of fresh garlic and remove it from the pot before serving)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
Dash of Tabasco sauce

Strain the oysters through cheesecloth and reserve the fluid (this is to make sure that there's not bits of shell or sand in it). Wash off the oysters well in a colander (same reason). Melt butter in a pot, add the juice and all of the spices except the paprika, and stir. Add the oysters, and stir occasionally, for about four or five minutes (you will see the edges of the oysters start to curl). Then add the cream and milk. Bring it to a boil, not boiling, and shut it off.

Serve in bowls with a dusting of paprika and (if you like) a little pat of butter floating in each bowl.

Serve with crackers.

Back