ISO: ISO Gumbo Recipe

In Search Of:

earnie

I have to prepare gumbo for a Mardi Gras party for 60 people. Any really great recipes out there? Please.

Earnie

Here are two tried and true gumbo recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bubba's Seafood Gumbo

Recipe By : Bubba/New Orleans
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bubba's Recipes Seafood
Soups And Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

6 tablespoons flour
1/2 butter
6 cloves garlic -- chopped fine
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp(do not
butterfly)
1 can plain tomato sauce -- (8 ounce)
3 quarts water
1 pound crab clawmeat
1/4 bunch parsley
1/2 teaspoon thyme
3 bay leaves
1 can or package of frozen okra
1/2 pintoysters with juice.
salt and freshly ground black pepper to
taste

Make a roux with the flour and butter. Add garlic and cook until golden brown. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook until transparent. Add shrimp and tomato sauce, simmer 10 minutes, stir in water and blend well. Add all other ingredients except okra and oysters. Cook 1 hour, add okra, and cook 20 minutes. Add oysters and cook 10 minutes longer. Serve over rice.
Yields 1 gallon

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bubba's NOTES : Cheers! This is the genuine article darling. When you have tasted this dish you have savored the very essence of Old French New Orleans. Kind of a costly recipe I know but worth every penny and sure to impress even the most discriminating palate. Do exactly as directed. No substitutions allowed. Do not use fresh tomatoes for fresh tomato sauc

* Exported from MasterCook *

My Gumbo

Recipe By : James Laurence
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry Seafood
Shrimp Soups And Stews

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
2 bay leaf, whole
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced green pepper
2 cups spicey sausage such as andoulli
4 cloves garlic
8 cups chicken or turkey stock or water
1 1/2 cups diced poultry meat, cooked
1/2 pound peeled shrimp
1/2 dozen shucked oysters
1/2 pound sliced okra
2 cups rice prepared according to package
instruc
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil and flour in a large pot until the resulting roux reaches a dark brown chocolate color. See Notes
Add the bay, celery, onion and green peppers and cook until the vegetables are soft
Add 1/4 of the sausage and the garlic and cook the garlic making sure not to burn it. See Note
Add the stock or water and the meat and the rest of the andoulli See Note
Simmer for 2 hrs. minimum; longer if you can Add the okra about 10 min before serving
Add the shrimp and oysters 5 min before serving See Note
Serve with rice and File` (Pronounced fee' la). File` is a wonderful addition if it is available. It is a spice made from sassafras root.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jame's NOTES : The key to making good gumbo is making the roux. It should be done slowly and carefully so that the flour does not burn. Emeril Lagasse says you should make a "2 beer roux", meaning it should take as long to make as it takes you to drink 2 beers.
Andoulli sausage is classic but any spicey sausage available will work nicely. Remember, gumbo is peasant food; you make it from the ingredients available.
I use the chicken or turkey that i pick from the bones when making the stock
The oysters are a personal favorite but, again, use what you like and is available. If you use them, the oysters should be barely cooked, so they are tender You may want to defat before serving

Dawn, a question

Many thanks. The second one (shrimp & okra at least) is more of what I had in mind. I plan to make the stock ahead of time and wondered if I could make the roux ahead of time? If I make it the night before, will it hold over to the next day?

Earnie

Yes, you can.You can freeze it forfuture use and

you can make a quantity in the oven instead of stovetop.
I recently made a delicious roux in the oven. cooked it 2 hours at 350*, stirring after the first hour. It was dark mahogany and no worrying about burning.

Back