ISO: ISO: I’m looking for Vegan recipes.

In Search Of:

dawn_mo

My son is home from college for at least the rest

of the school year, and possibly next year. He is

pretty open to most foods. He adores mushrooms.

I swear, I have sliced so many pounds of mushrooms!

Hi there! Do you have a vegan substitute for yogurt & milk? This cauliflower korma was

very good, but the sauce uses both.

Another favorite is brown lentil stew:

Saute in oil
diced onions
diced carrots
diced celery
When soft, add minced garlic

When that's soft, add a can of diced tomatoes and enough vegetable broth (or fake chicken broth) or water to thin slightly.

Peel and dice "par-boiled to tender" Yukon or red potato. Russet breaks down too much. Add to veggies.

Meanwhile boil brown lentils for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and add to veggie mixture. Again, add enough broth or water to a consistency where things don't stick.

Season with whatever you want.

Serve over whatever (grits, mashed potatoes) or pile into a pita or burrito.

https://food52.com/recipes/82610-cauliflower-korma-with-blackened-raisins-recipe

DGD is vegan. Look for some lentil recipes--add mushrooms, carrots, onion,

etc.
There's vegan yogurt--and some vegan butter is REALLY good according to my non-vegan daughter.

Just sent this one to DGD-yam and plantain curry

INGREDIENTS
¼ cup neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
4 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 cup
) Kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1 (2- to 3-inch) piece fresh ginger, grated (about 2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 whole red habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, pierced all over with a knife
1 (14-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes and their juices
1 ½ pounds white or orange yams, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 green (unripe) plantains (about 1 pound total), peeled and cut into 1 1/2- inch pieces
1 (13-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon red palm oil (optional)
4 cups julienned hearty greens, such as dandelion greens, collards or lacinato kale, tough stems removed
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems 1 lime, sliced into wedges for squeezing tender,
PREPARATION YIELD
4 to 6 servings TIME 50 minutes Yam and Plantain Curry With Crispy Shallots By Yewande Komolafe Step 1 Heat a medium pot, large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium. Pour in the neutral oil, add the sliced shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are caramelized and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove shallots from the oil and allow to drain on paper towels or a cooling rack. Season with salt and set aside.
Step 2 Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the cooking oil out of the pot. (Reserve extra oil for another use.) Over medium-low heat, add the garlic, ginger and turmeric to the pot and sauté until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for an additional 2 minutes or until it begins to stick to the bottom of the pot.
Step 3 Drop in the chile and add the whole peeled tomatoes with their juices, crushing the whole tomatoes with your hands as they go in. Stir to combine ingredients and dissolve the tomato paste, then add 3 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Step 4 Once boiling, season with salt, reduce heat to medium, add the yams and simmer until the yams are just beginning to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the plantains and cook until both are tender but hold their shape, and the liquid is slightly reduced and thickened, 15 to 18 minutes. Step 5 Stir in the coconut milk and red palm oil, if using, season with more salt and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the greens and cook until tender
2 to 3 minutes.
Step 6 To serve, remove and discard the cooked chile. Ladle the curry into bowls, top with the caramelized shallots, a scattering of basil and cilantro, and several squeezes of lime juice.

When we visited our kids and DGD was doing some cooking she made marinated

tofu a couple of times and it was wonderful!!
Cut in cubes. Marinated in soy sauce mixture . Broiled for about 10 minutes until nice and browned.

You can sub in firm tofu, well drained, in just about any curry recipe. . .

Most of the flavor in the curries I have tried is from the sauce/seasonings/spices, so try firm tofu for a change. You can cut into cubes, strips, whatever, and even try it crushed or crumpled. If you sauce is good, the tofu is good I have found.

Back