ISO: ISO: I have a 4.8 lb. rolled pork butt roast...

In Search Of:

dawn_mo

what are some options to do with this roast? I do not want to do pulled pork, carnitas or chalupa, any other ideas? Thanks!

Hi Dawn, I've been wanting to try this, maybe you will, too! REC: Cuban Roast Pork

This was shared by Laurie/SB on Gail's, along with an entire Cuban menu and recipes. I have not yet tried it, but I did copy and save the entire thread to try soon.

Cuban Roast Pork

One "fresh ham" with bone in and skin on. You can also use a small pork roast with a good layer of fat on it (I've been using shoulders because that's all I can find in this one horse town)

Note: I'm too lazy to do this the traditional way... I combine the garlic, salt, dried oregano, onion and citrus juice in the food processor and proceed from there.

Mojo Marinade

20 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1 and 1/2 cups sour orange juice (In a pinch, use two
parts orange to one part lemon and one part lime)
1 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon oregano
1 and 1/2 cups Spanish olive oil (Goya brand is good)

Mash the garlic and salt together with a mortar and pestle. (A rolling pin on a cutting board works pretty good too.) Add dried oregano, onion and the sour orange to the mash and mix thoroughly. Heat oil in small sauce pan, add the mash to the oil and whisk.

Pierce pork as many times as you can with a sharp knife or fork. Pour garlic mixture (save a little for roasting) over pork, cover and let sit in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight (I let sit for three days, turning daily, and it was divine)

To Cook:

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Place the pork fattest side up in an open roasting pan. Place pan in oven and reduce temperature to 325°F. Spoon extra marinade over the roast occasionally as it cooks. Using a meat thermometer, roast should be removed from the oven when the temperature reaches 155°F. Immediately cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. The roast will continue to cook after you remove it from the heat. A perfectly cooked pork roast will be pale white in the middle and the juices will run clear. Allow about 1/4 to 1/2 pound per person, depending on side dishes.

Note on pork roast: I pull off and shred all the meat and put it in a large pan. I then spoon all the pan 'stuff'. marinade I'd basted with, pan juices and drippings over the top of the meat, and popped it back in the oven for about 10 minutes. It was WONDERFUL this way. Additional note... my 12 lb shoulder roast took about six to seven hours to come up to an internal temp of 160°, so plan ahead. ;>)

this is known as "my" pork roast among my friends. So easy, again.

It is from Lydie Marshall and her Provence recipes.

Remove some of the fat from the meat if you can. Not all of it.

Pepper and spread over it, 2-3 T. Dijon mustard. Brown in 2 T. olive oil but do not burn the mustard.

Remove from the pan and in the same pot place 2 halved garlic cloves and 2 rosemary sprigs. Place the meat on top. Then over the top of the meat, place 2-3 garlic cloves and 2 sprigs of rosemary.

'Braise' (the meat will create lots of juice) on top of the stove over simmer for about 2 hours.

You can turn it once but this really looks after itself.

Dawn, I just got Lidia's Family Table this week and have been reading it..

every free moment I have. There are a couple of pork butt recipes that sound just wonderful. They are quite lengthy in description but do not sound difficult in execution. Here is one of the recipes:

REC: Roast Pork Shoulder with Roast Vegetable Sauce

5-7 lb pork shoulder (butt) roast, bone in
1 1/2 t coarse sea salt or crystal kosher salt
2 T extra virgin olive oil

For the pan sauce: Vegetables, seasonings, and broth

4 medium onions, peeled & chopped into 1/2" pieces
2 med carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks
2 medium leeks (including green trimmings), rinsed, split and chopped into 1/2" pieces
3 celery stalks with leaves, rinsed and cut into 1/2" pieces
about 1/2 oz dried porcini slices, crumbled or chopped into small bits (1/4 C)
1 t whole black peppercorns
6 whole cloves
1 packed T fresh rosemary needles, stripped from the branch
2 large bay leaves
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 t kosher salt, or less to taste
3 C or more Turkey broth or vegetable broth or water
1 1/2 C dry white wine

Preping the Roast and Veggies:
Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400°.

Rinse and dry the roast; leave the entire layer of fat on the top. Place it in the roasting pan, and sprinkle salt on all sides, patting the crystals so the stick to the meat and are evenly distributed. Pour on the olive oil and rub it all over the roast. Set the roast, fat side up, in the center of a heavy duty roasting pan about 12 x 17", bit engough for the roast with the vegetables around it.

Scatter all the chopped vegetables and seasonings - except the remaining 1 t salt--around, and toss everything together with the 3 T of olive oil. If you are using water as cooking liquid, toss the 1 t salt with the vegetables, if using broth, less or no salt is needed, depending on the saltiness of the broth (taste to determine). Pour the white wine and 2 C or more broth (or water) into the side of the pan so the cooking liquid is 1" deep, coming well up around all the vegetables.

Slow Roasting the Pork and Vegetables:
Set the pan in the oven and roast for an hour, then open the oven and bring the roasting pan up front, turn the vegetables over, and rotate the pan back to front, for even cooking.

Roast for another hour or hour and a quarter (depending on the size of the roast); the internal temperature should be 170° or a little higher. The meat should be browned all over with dark edges; the top (especially the fat) should be crisp and caramelized. There will still be considerable amount of juices in the pan, and the vegetables should be cooked through and lightly browned. The dish is ready to serve now, unless you want to glaze the roast or get it darker and more crisp, in which case raise the oven temp to 425° and proceed as directed later.

Making the Sauce & Finishing the Roast:
Lift the pork out of the roasting pan with a large spatula, or by holding it with towels, and rest it on a platter while you start the sauce. If it's not going back in the oven, set the roast on a warm corner of the stove, covered loosely with foil.

With a potato masher, crush the cooked vegetables in the juices, breaking them up into little bits. Set the sieve, in the saucepan, and pour everything from the pan into the sieve, including any flavorful caramelized bits that can be scraped up. Press the vegetables and other solids against the sieve with a big spoon to release their liquied, then discard them. Let the liquid settle, and with the fat rises, skim it off. Set the saucepan over high heat, bring the juices (you shuld have 3-4 C) to a boil, and let the reduce, uncovered.

For further browning, return the roast to the roasting pan, including its juices. When the oven is at 425°, set the pan on a higher rack and roast until browned and crusty. This could take just a few minutes or 15 or more; chick the meat frequently, and turn pan if browning unevenly.

When the roast is out of the oven, let it sit for 10 minutes or so before serving. I like to remove the blade bone, which is visible on the side of the roast. Insert a long knife blade into the meat so it rests on the flat bone; draw the blade along the bone, following its contours and the meat will left off. Arrange the boneless pork on a warm serving platter. To finish the sauce, cook until the strained roasting juices have reduced by 1/2, or to a consistency you like. Thicken it, if you wish with bread crumbs. Moisten the roast with some of the sauce and pass the rest!

Enjoy!

Hi Barbara! Thanks for this recipe. I believe this is the episode that was airing (m)

yesterday. I did not catch it in it's entirity. BUT, it looks like the same one. (I was ingrigued about using a masher for the gravy!) Thanks again for the recipe! I will definitely be making this.

FYI....She served it with what looked like wilted romaine leaves. Similiar to the traditional method making spinich, only looked like romaine...

Thanks for the tip on the book!
Regards,
Barb

Barbara, I received this book as a Christmas gift. I agree with you, the recipes look wonderful!.

I have made two of the pasta sauces so far. I think I may do this pork recipe this weekend. It sounds great for a cold weather meal!

I'm hesitant to post it in the Favorites without having tried it yet.

I'm sure it is fabulous, and it "reads" well.

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to give the Cuban Pork Roast a try this time! Thanks again!

I make the same dish using grapefruit juice...

to marinate the pork roast. I learned the recipe from a former neighbor who was born in Cuba, she made it each Christmas, and we combined our holiday celebrations with traditional Cuban (her), German (my mother) and American dishes served between the two homes (with that citrus marinated pork *always* on the menu!). I've combined many types of citrus and gotten great results using the same (similar) basic recipe (with pork, lamb, chicken, turkey). Very good eating!

I just mentioned to post it since you said it was from the Old Gail's and the favorites

here are from the old Gail's. It just sounds too good to not be. Does that make sense?

Back