ISO: ISO Italian dessert for a crowd

In Search Of:
Okay. I’m in the middle of GBH angst, my new computer (after 11 years) just arrived and a friend keeps needing rides to Asheville for retina surgery appts. But I’ll pull out my hard copy because there are notes on it. I make my own ladyfingers (infinitely easier than trying to find them) and have always been quite happy with it. And will continue to do so. But recently read CI version of perfecting tiramisu and they scorned soft ladyfingers. They wanted rock hard ones so not much of the dipping liquid was absorbed. Well, they say PO-TAY-TOE and I say “my cake is freaking wonderful and you can kept your stale ladyfingers”…or something like that.

Can you give me your snail mail and I’ll mail out hard copies and also try to scan recipes of what I have. I use Rose Levy Beranbaum for the ladyfingers and her all-yolk lemon curd, my own limoncello and eggs….lots and lots and lots of eggs for everything. There is also a great OLD video from some girl in Australia whose steps perfected my zabaglione. It ends up much thicker than most versions and that’s what I want. I think the basic recipe is 9”…possibly 10”?

Oh, I also pipe the ladyfingers batter into circles the size of whatever springform pan I’m using. That way I don’t have to piece individual pieces…I’m anal retentive like that.

I'd like the recipe too but the non dog-licked version please. 🙃

Oh I want the dog licked version, with all the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back about each one! Only if it’s not too much trouble because it sounds like you’ve got a lot going on, but my event isn’t until the 20th. Many, many thanks! 😇

Paul,

Once I get the dog licked version, I’ll type it up and post here. 🙂

Also, because as you know I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ve decided I’m (maybe) going to try to make pizelles as well as whatever main dessert. Because in my mind every Italian event also has pizelles as part of the desert and most of all I love them. Plus, I talked to my Italian friend and her mom (We are talking authentic, she didn’t even speak English Italian mom) had? has? a pizzelle maker I can borrow. Film at 11.

Oh yes, for years now. The worst came when I could no longer eat chocolate. Sometimes I still try a tiny bit if it’s early in the day, but a chocolate chip cookie at lunch can leave me awake the whole night. 😭😭😭

How about just a really perfect zabaglione on the spot? (was my husband's favourite dessert).

Never as convenient as something already done.

I am hooked right now into meringues with whipped cream, overnighting, then fruit, more whipped cream. So Italian fruit.

That sounds delicious, but there is going to be 15-20 people and I’m not sure I could tackle that. Especially now, life is crazy. Insurance totaled my car after the accident and I’m currently spending every waking hour trying to find a car to buy. Pickings are slim to none.

We may revisit the party idea later, but meanwhile it’s canceled as my mil passed away at 87 due to complications of dementia yesterday. We were all with her and she was well loved.

Back