ISO: ISO Lentil pate recipe from one of the Moosewood cookbooks(more0

In Search Of:

sherri-in-in

Enthusiast Member
I am searching for a lentil pate recipe which I vaguely recall seeing in one of Amy Katzen's Moosewood cookbooks a while back. I just can't recall which one. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Hi Sherri - I have the new Moosewood Cookbook, but the only pate

recipes in it are a Walnut Pate and a Walnut-Feta pate. Maybe it's in another one?

I googled lentil pate and Moosewood and I didn't find anything either. I did see a recipe on a vegan site though, do you want that even though it wasn't a Moosewood recipe?

There's one from Marbalet (where is she, anyway?)... not Moosewood though.

Note: It was at epi (formatting was awful - when they brought it over from Gail's I guess) so I've fixed it up as best as I could.

Thought you could like this great recipe, and a real tasty lentil loaf recipe, follows-for a change from regular meat loaf. smileys/surprise.gif)

Makes 3 cups

1 3/4 cups shelled walnuts
2/3 cup French green lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet cooking rice wine)
3 medium onions, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 teaspoon umeboshi paste (a salty sweet and slightly bitter Japanese condiment made from plums and shiso)
1 1/2 tablespoons light miso
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 3500F. Spread nuts over baking sheet in single layer. Toast until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Transfer nuts to colander or strainer to cool. Rub nuts together with hands and shake colander to remove skins. Set walnuts aside.

2.Place lentils in medium pot. Add bay leaf and water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain lentils and discard bay leaf.

3.Heat oil and mirin in medium skillet. Add onions and garlic, sauti until lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and cool slightly.

4.Place walnuts, lentils, onion mixture and remaining ingredients in work bowl of food processor. Puree until smooth. Scrape pbti into serving bowl.

Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until well chilled. (Pbti can be refrigerated overnight.)

Recipe by chef Peter Berley at Angelica Kitchen, New York.

Luscious Lentil Loaf

4 cups water 1 cup lentils, uncooked (7 1/2oz)
1/2 cup very finely chopped onions
1/2 cup very finely chopped celery
1/4 cup plus 2 tbls finely chopped walnuts (1 1/2 oz)
5 slices whole wheat bread, crumbled (1-oz slices)
2 egg whites
8-oz can salt-free (or regular) tomato sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils, cover, and cook on low heat, 45 minutes. Drain. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a 4" x 8" loaf pan or spray with a nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine cooked lentils with remaining ingredients. Mix well. Place mixture in prepared pan and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.

Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate. Cut into slices to serve. Makes six servings. Each serving has 249 Calories w/6 gms fat.

I have the Moosewood, Enchanted Broccoli Forest and Still Life w/ Menu, no lentil pate.

Also checked her web site, no luck.

Not Moosewood but 1984 Vegetarian Times Cookbook Lentil Pate

If you cannot find Moosewood and want me to type it up and post the REC I will. Let me know.

Thanks to all of you who responded so quickly.Cathy, I would adore the recipe.(more)

Thank you so much for offering to post the recipe. I probably just got my cookbooks confused. A million thanks.

Back