ISO: ISO: New Years at my house. Any new fantastic, make-ahead is a plus...

In Search Of:

dawn_mo

recipes. I usually do fondue, but the thought of kids running around cords and vats of boiling oil is giving me nightmares. So, I am looking for some really good family friendly recipes for appetizers. Thanks so much! And Happy New Year! Dawn

Pulled pork, slaw, etc. for a traditional

New Year's meal. What do you usually do. I have a great butane single burner that I use for tail gates or other places. Target sells them. Negates "cords" for fondue. Since we don't know what or who/how many you usually serve, it is hard to suggest.
I could do reams of appetizers, but it might not suit. As usual, pertinent information is just that.
Since you mention fondue and oil, you could consider fondue chinoise--Mongolian hot pot. Much more healthy and just as delicious--done in broth instead of oil, and using noodles and greens to finsh out the meal. You can also do it over sterno (albeit, reheating on the stove to keep the temp up) and not have to have cords.

Hi Dawn. This may sound stupid>>>

But I find that when I need to use plugs and such, and there are small people jamming around, I move the table against the wall and the cords go behind it. Unless you are doing a sit down, this might work for you and you can do the fondue and what ever else requires an electrical outlet. Just a thought.
marg

More info: this is actually an ISO for appetizers for New Years Eve...

great idea marg, I will actually have them up on the counter as a deep-fry station. As we have done this since I was a little girl, so there will be no healthy substitution, TF, but that would be fun to do with my family later on. I never thought of doing that just as a meal, but it would be great. My husband is diabetic, so low carb, low fat, low calories are always a plus. There will be 12 of us including 3 children. It will be casual; poker playing later in the evening. I am just tired of the same old appys I make, and I would like to make my stepdaughter's in-laws feel like I have really gone out of my way for them. Thanks and Happy New Years!

We're doing all appetizers...

Today I'll make stuffed mushrooms and stuffed jalapenos. I also have some cheeses to put out with good bread, celery and nuts. I think I'll pick up some olives as well.

If there's tme a have a recipe for spinach balls, taste better than they sound. It's just 2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach defrosted, some seasoned bread crumbs, pinch of dried herbs to taste, some grated cheese and an egg pattted into little balls and baked. Yum.

Dawn I make all my recipes low carb....

I had great success on a low carb diet - lost 35 lb. Unfortunatly have been naughty and gained 10lb back.

Anyway the stuffed mushroom and jalapenos are low carb and the spinach balls can be as well, if you omit bread crumbs and add more chese. Sometimes I'll whirl a handful of crunchy pork rinds in the blender to replace breadcrumbs.

Muse

Dawn, if you don't already have a zillion tapenade recipes >>

here's an easy one that keeps for a week in the fridge:

Green Olive Tapenade
from Bon Appetit

In a processor:

1 10-oz. jar green olives, pitted (pimentos removed)
1 2-oz tin anchovy fillets, drained
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 heaping teaspoon capers

Process until finely chopped. Scrape bowl and add

1/4 cup olive oil

Process to a purree Season to taste with:

cayenne pepper
Lemon juice

Serve with toast or crackers, and it's great with seafood.

(I slice up a baguette thinly and dry them out at 325* for about 1/2 hour, brushiing with olive oil halfway through. This makes very crisp toast that will keep for weeks in a zip-lock bag.)

another Tapenade (from Richard Olney)

8 oz. pitted Kalamata olives
4 anchovy fillets
1 clove garlic, mashed with a pinch of salt
3 Tablespoons capers
A big pinch of savory
A small pinch of cayenne
1/4 cup olive oil

Make the same way as the one above. The two are nice together.

I made these cheese puffs for Christmas and they were a big hit. rec

WHITE CHEDDAR PUFFS WITH GREEN ONIONS

The puffs can be formed and chilled or frozen on baking sheets well ahead of time, then simply popped into the oven.

1 cup water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into 4 pieces
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt plus additional for sprinkling
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups (packed) grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
2/3 cup minced green onions

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Bring 1 cup water, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat; mix in flour. Stir over medium heat until mixture becomes slightly shiny and pulls away from sides of pan, about 3 minutes; transfer to stand mixer fitted with paddle. Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition to form sticky dough. Mix in cheese and green onions.
Using 2 teaspoons, form dough into 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch ovals; drop onto baking sheet 1 inch apart. (Can be made ahead. Wrap in plastic, then foil. Refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 weeks.)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake cheese puffs until golden, about 30 minutes if at room temperature and 35 minutes if chilled or frozen. Serve immediately.

Makes about 4 dozen.
Gourmet
I baked them in the morning and then reheated a bit in the oven before serving. They were gobbled up, even cold. A nice alternative to bread.

The Reuben crock pot dip and the buffalo chicken dip are good and can be lo-carb(not lo fat though!)I think both are in favorite appetizers---have you looked there? Lots of good stuff is being posted. Happy New Year!

Thanks everyone! After giving my menu a once over,..

I have decided to go the easy route. I am making up a deli tray, an antipasto, Joe's green olive tapenade, veggie tray, and just one fondue going for the kids to make poppers and cheese sticks (an adult actually will make it). My stepdaughter is bringing dips and spreads.
I don't know why, but this year, I am just sick of eating! The thought of ingesting a bunch of fried foods, ugggggggggggg.
Thanks again for the recipes and advice. Everyone have a wonderful new year! Dawn

Hi Muse... I tried the spinach balls, and while they were good...

they didn't really "dry out" in the oven. I baked them at 350 for about 30 minutes... 1 egg, 1/4 cup or so of breadcrumbs.

Is that how they are supposed to turn out? Or aren't they supposed to puff up more?

Back