ISO: ISO: Pecan Caramels recipe. Any T&T recipes or tips/advice? Thanks!

In Search Of:
Michael, Theo's pecan caramels are divine. Please follow their steps even if

you've successfully made caramels before. Their process involves melting the sugar 1/4 at at time...as it starts to melt, you add the next 1/4. It doesn't have to completely melted to add the next phase. Crush down any lumps. Each phase the sugar melts faster. When it's all added and a deep caramel-color, you begin adding the HOT heavy cream, again timing it in fourths so the caramel temperature never dips too much in either direction.

I use a 3.5 QT non-stick Calphalon, heavy silicon spatula and a Thermopen. Since I'm at 3,000 elevation, my finished product is around 247 degrees. In Florida, I would cook it to 252 degrees. This produces a chewy caramel with a slight pull. Any higher and you get a stiffer caramel (which my librarians preferred, for some reason). The original recipe takes it to 254 degrees.

The butter is not added until the final temperature has been reached and is stirred in off-heat. This would be when you add pecans. I used Fresh Market's chopped pecans which were perfectly sized.

I only use pasteurized heavy cream (not ultra-pastreurized), available at Whole Foods, but that's just me and have adjusted their recipe to use exactly one pint of heavy cream. It fills a 7" square (lined with non-stick aluminum foil) and ends up >1/2" thick. It also has to sit overnight before cutting, so plan accordingly.

Start to finish is around 35 minutes.

Theo's Caramel

2 C heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/3 C light corn syrup
2 C MINUS 2 TBL granulated sugar
3 TBL + 1 tsp butter

{Add chopped pecans after butter)

Split bean, scrap out seeds, add to cream with salt. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside to steep for 20 minutes. Put syrup in bowl and strain heavy cream mixture over syrup. Have ready to add to hot sugar mixture.

Using a heavy pot over medium heat (I used a 3.5 QT Calphalon non-stick pot and would like to thank the Calphalon company for creating a pot where melted sugar just ran down the sides and didn't crystallize. Thank you!), start with half a cup of sugar and swirl until it melts. Then add another half a cup and wait for that to melt, continuing until all the sugar has been added. When it just begins to smoke (it will have darkened), start adding the cream 1/2 cup at a time, stirring vigorously. Wait at least one minute before adding another half of a cup of cream. You don't want the temperature to drop too much. When all the cream is added, raise the heat slightly, add a thermometer and boil until it reaches EXACTLY 254 degrees. This results in a caramel that has a slight stretch to it.

As soon as the temperature is reached, pull off the heat and vigorously add the butter, then pour into prepared pan.
Set aside for minimum of TWELVE HOURS.

PS: I just made these for my doctor's staff and gave samples to seven people at yoga. Every

one said they were great and could they buy them?

Question to ponder: If you answer NO while in Downward Facing Dog, does it invert to a YES?

Namaste.

d read through your recipe. Above the mention of heavy cream got me but. . .

what really got me was the description in the instructions: " . . .boil until it reaches EXACTLY 254 degrees. This results in a caramel that has a SLIGHT STRETCH to it."

Caramels, for me, need a slight stretch; this should be required by Candy LAW! Gotta have that heavy cream and GOTTA have that stretch, else it's not caramel candy. Don't want caramel FLAVORED hard candy, don't want the stuff that is grainy, or that does not stretch. And I don't want the stuff that pulls my filling and caps off. With me it's all about the flavor AND texture, and I have got to have both,

Gimme that ol' caramel stretchin'! (and unctuous, creamy dairy delight.)

BTW, do you have a Trader Joe's nearish? Out here TJ's sells some caramels, random cut, dipped in dark chocolate, have that creamy flavor and the ol' caramel stretchin'; they come in clear plastic 10 oz. tubs. They are not home made, but for satisfying a long put-off craving, they are the ticket. I can't buy them any because I will eat them all in about 2 days. It would be one day, but I am able to exert a small modicum of control. Good LORD, it is hard not to eat them all in one setting. What is weird is I am not a big sweets/candy person. But those caramels drive me to ruin!

Thank you for the recipe and thank you for your tips. Perhaps I will make some with that heavy, regular pasteurized organic cream they sell at Trader Joe's.

Michael & Mistral, I'm making a batch soon. If you want some samples, send me

Your address to

Mef dot boo dot g mail dot com and I'll pop some in the mail. That way you can make an informed decision on whether to try this recipe.

Marilyn, would this be a good recipe for dipping apples? I'm making caramel apples for Christmas

cheezz, sadly (but fortunately) I have not been able to get the caramel to stick to my apples.

This is, in truth, a very good thing because I LOVE caramel apples with nuts in a bad way. The caramel starts to stick...and then slowly slides off until there is a thin coat all over and a big flat puddle at the bottom.

This defect in no way stops me from eating them. They just aren't pretty.

Have you followed the tips for making caramel apples?....

Wash apples thoroughly - fill sink with a few inches water and dissolve in 1 tbl lemon juice and 1 tbl baking soda. Swirl apples around in it and scrub each one well with a veggie brush. Dry thoroughly.

Line baking sheet with parchment, put sticks in apples and place on parchment, then put in fridge. Keeping everything chilled helps the caramel stick and not puddle.

After making caramel, make sure to cool it in the pan for about 8 minutes so it thickens up a bit before dipping.

Back