ISO: ISO Pound Cake Recipe

In Search Of:

sandy-in-baltimore

I am looking for a very moist and dense pound cake. I thought I saw one listed the other day that had cream cheese and sour cream in it. that should meet my requirements, but I don't see it now. TIA

There's a whole thread at egullet.org on the "Best Pound Cake"..

Several people have been testing different ones and so far the "Cold Oven Pound Cake," posted by Becca Porter, is their favorite, although some recommend cutting down the sugar. Here's the recipe and link:

COLD OVEN POUND CAKE

(One reviewer added zest from 3 lemons).
From the poster: "... It has a really buttery flavor and a lighter crumb than usual pound cakes. I am unsure where it originally comes from..."

1 c unsalted butter, softened
3 c granulated sugar (my note: use less)
5 large eggs, room temperature *(poster uses 5 eggs and 1 yolk)
3 c all-purpose flour, sift three times before measuring
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 c whipping cream

DIRECTIONS:

Butter and flour two 9 by 5 inch loaf pans.

Whisk salt and baking powder into presifted flour. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until light, fluffy and almost white, 4 to 5 minutes, stopping mixer to scrape down sides. Add eggs one at a time slowly, beating well after each addition. Add one third of the flour mixture into the mixer set at low speed. Add half the whipping cream. Continue alternating flour and cream, ending with flour. Add vanilla. With a rubber spatula scrape down sides and bottom until completely mixed. Pour into loaf pans, up to 2/3 full.

**Start in a cold oven.**

Place pans on middle rack of oven. Turn oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Note: It only took mine 55 minutes, so check early.)

Submitted by: Becca Porter - egullet.org

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=81809

Back