ISO: ISO: "quiet" stand mixers?

In Search Of:

ruthsf

I've been looking for less noisy stand mixers, the Kitchenaid is too loud (for my ears) when cranking two at a time in a small space, and I really don't want to wear earplugs if I can help it (I have worn them, on occasion, but then will often miss the phone or a timer). Has anyone seen any information on stand mixers that can handle large capacity (5 or 6 quart) and are relatively quiet?

Thanks in advance,

RuthSF

How old is your kitchenaid?

My kitchenaid is pre-1980 and is really not very loud at all.

You might want to try the headphone type noise reducers. You can get them in most any hardware store. These are what I use when grinding grain with my VitaMixer. The VitaMixer is noisy anyhow and when grinding grain--sounds like a dang jet taking off in my kitchen.

Great idea, thanks!

Mine is mid-80's and, even though serviced (oiled the bearings, I believe they said), the noise is like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. Baking in quantity has become as much headache as joy! I like the idea of the noise reducing headphones, will try them, thanks very much!

I have not tried this but....

maybe you could put the mixer on some kind of pad to deaden the noise, like a thin rubber pad that wouldn't slip. I have an old Kitchen Aid that was given to me used by my aunt who had a catering buisiness. This was over 20 years ago and it is still going strong. From time to time I am tempted to get a new colored one but I feel the older ones may be made better. Just my opinion...

Luisa, you are right in my opinion

I had a wonderful old KA for years and years- and fell prey in a weak moment to the "anniversary model" several years ago. I thought it would be terrific to have a brand new KA...and surely the new ones would be made the same way. I SOLD my old one (BOO HOO! STUPID ME) and got my new shiny KA.

It is a good machine, don't get me wrong. It is reliable and strong but it is not as good as my old one was. Man, that thing was like a Sherman tank. This one is still better than any new ones I have seen but it seems cheapened up some. I almost burned it up a couple times by doing things I never thought twice about on my old machine and I DID burn out the motor once and had to replace it. KA replaced it but it was a hassle. They are terrific about helping you but I live in an inconvenient place therefore making it a hassle for me, not them.

Thanks Luisa...

I have tried that, to deaden the sound, but since the sound is coming from the motor housing (on top) it didn't do the trick. I'm always amazed, if you watch cooking shows, and someone is using the mixer... you notice they try but cannot talk over the sound of it. Why KitchenAid focused on making cute 'colors' instead of a quieter product, well, all I can say is the newer ones seem even louder & more shrill during use than the old. Someday I'll find a large quantity stand mixer that's quiet, I'm determined!

I just recently had the speed control replaced on my KA. . .

And was doing research into parts and repair on the internet and found out that KA is using a plastic worm gear to drive the mixers (or at least some of them)! I remember someone saying that they were told the reason for this was essentially "liability" issues; the gear would strip before any way bad damage/injury could ensue. Of course if it strips before you have finished mixing.

A while back I tried to get a small plastic holder for one of the beaters on my old Black and Decker mixer. I was somewhat attached to it as my husband had given it to me before we were married. I called Black and Decker,but they would not sell us the part. Said that they didn't sell to do-it-yourselfers due to the ol' liability thing.

I hate having to buy throw-away stuff. . .especially throw-away small appliances!

Interesting that they use cheap parts to address a safety issue! I'm glad though...

On the other hand, I have always cooked with my children (I have 3), especially cookies. They just love to put things into the KA mixer, turn it on, watch it go round and round. I have always imagined what would happen if their little hand got caught in there. I'm actually glad to know that the gear would strip before they got seriously injured! My littlest is 3-1/2.

But what I am thinking is. . .

Ok, they are being the good guys--safety issue being addressed, no?

sorry but I am sure that the thing could be built with an adjustable clutch, like an electric screwdriver. Or maybe an overload fuse that would throw if the revolutions in a speed got too slow.

And plastic gear or not, I wouldn't be letting any 3-1/2 year olds be putting stuff in the bowl of the mixer and turning it on--unless I was watching them every step of the way! smileys/smile.gif

Definitely I am right there watching like a hawk!

You're right though, there is probably a better way for them to address the issue.

Back