ISO: ISO recipe for fish cooked in parchment paper

In Search Of:

tess

Making it for New Year's Eve - mine always comes out so blah. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tess

Tess, look at this REC: Sea Bass en Croute

I have made this a number of times, always wrapped in parchment, rather than the puff pastry.
It's so simple, but so good....even fish-phobic dh eats it.

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Sea Bass En Croute

Recipe By : Real Simple website
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish Healthy And Hearty
Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1/2 Package Puff Pastry, Defrosted -- optional
1 5 Oz. Pkg Baby Spinach -- washed
2 Chilean Sea Bass Fillets -- 1"x1.5"x4".approx
1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Mushroom Tapenade
1 Egg, Beaten -- for pastry

Heat oven to 375°F. Have a baking sheet ready. If using puff pastry, line it with parchment or foil.

To make without the pastry, cut 2 pieces of parchment paper, each about 12" square. Fold each in half, and crease down center line. Reopen the paper, place 1/4 of the spinach on each piece of parchment, just next to the crease. Sprinkle each piece of fsh woth a bit of the salt, place on top of the spinach.
Spread half the tapenade on each fillet, and top each with 1/4 of spinach.
Fold the parchment over, to form a packet. Fold and seal each packet. Place on the baking sheet, and place into the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Put a packet onto a plate, and cut openat the table.
Serve with rice or potato to complete the meal.

If baking in the pastry, on a lightly floured surface, roll out the sheet of puff pastry to 1/8" thick.
Place spinach, fish and tapenade on the pastry the same as on the parchment, above.
Wrap the fish in the pastry, folding in the sides to seal completely. Place on baking sheet and brush with the beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Serve immediately.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

REC Whole Red Snapper en Papillote, Mediterranean Style

From Cooking Under Wraps by Nicole Routhier

You could use fish fillets and certainly other types of fish.

Whole Red Snapper en Papillote, Mediterranean Style
Makes 2 main course servings

1 head of garlic, separated and peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
1/4 cup Kalmata olives, chopped
1/2 tsp anchovy paste or 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
1/4 tsp crushed dried red pepper
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
2- 1 lb (each) red snapper, gutted and scaled, heads left on, tails and fins trimmed
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
salt and pepper to taste
2-15" squares parchment paper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Parboil the galic for one minute. Drain, discarding the liquid.

In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, tomatoes, capers, olives, anchovy paste, crushed pepper flakes and basil leaves. Set aside. Rinse the fish thoroughly inside and pat dry. If the gills have not been removed, do so to avoid bitterness.

Assemble the packets: lightly brush the parchment sheets with melted butter. Fold each in half and reopen to reveal a center fold line. Lightly season the fish inside nad out wiht salt and pepper. Place a fish on the bottom half of each sheet of paper, leaving a 1 to 1-1/2" border. Spoon the tomato mixture and the garlic cloves over the fish. Fold the other half of each parchment paper over, and fold and crimp the edges to seal, forming a rectangular packet. Place the packets on a baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the papillotes puff and the paper is slightly browned.

Transfer each papillote to a preheated dinner plate. Cut an "X" in the top of each packet to reveal the filling. Present the fish in the packet or slide each serving onto the plate and discard the paper.

Alrighty then! (see inside)

- that's proof that haste makes waste! See link for recipe.

Rec: Low Fat Salmon en Papillote (I used red snapper) Was terrific (m)

This was my second and most successful attempt at making papillotes. I halved the recipe using brown parchment paper. I cooked the red snapper skin side down in two heart shaped packets for 17.5 minutes. This time they puffed up nicely. These packets are really easy to prepare and the fish is so tasty and moist!

How I folded the parchment paper:

http://www.sundaysupper.com/parch.htm

(click on technique)

email friend | report thread

Subject Author Date Posted
Rec: Low Fat Salmon en Papillote (I used red snapper) Was terrific (m)
Sandy_in_Philly Nov 28, 2005 9:42 AM
Drats! I had copied the link but it got messed up - try here (m)
Sandy_in_Philly Nov 28, 2005 9:57 AM

return to epicurious.com >

help/site map/contact us/masthead/newsletters/magazine subscriptions/advertising log in / sign up / edit / log out visit our sister sites
Concierge / Epicurious / Men.Style.com / Style.com / Allure / Architectural Digest / Cargo / Domino
Glamour / House & Garden / Lucky / Self / Teen Vogue / The New Yorker / Vanity Fair / YM

Subscribe to a magazine: View Special Offers View All Titles - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Allure Architectural Digest Bon Appétit Bride's Cargo Condé Nast Traveler Details Domino Elegant Bride Glamour Golf Digest Golf For Women Golf World Gourmet GQ House & Garden Jane Lucky Modern Bride Self Teen Vogue The New Yorker Vanity Fair Vogue W Wired

CondéNet is paid a percentage of each sale by igourmet.com, and Jessica's Biscuit®/ecookbooks.com.

Note: All information on this site is subject to change; all details must be directly confirmed with service establishments.
Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Epicurious © 2005 CondéNet Inc. All rights reserved.

http://cyan.scarydevil.com/recipes/fish/salmon-papillotte.html

Back