ISO: ISO: Slow Cooker Mushroom Risotto using Dried Mushrooms (more)

In Search Of:

cath-in-v

Hello y'all from the suburbs of Vancouver BC. It's been a while since I've checked in, but with self-isolation I've been in the kitchen doing a lot of kitchen things things I've put on my kitchen bucket list - like getting into sourdough bread making (I've become addicted) and finally trying out those Russian frosting tips I just 'had to have' from Amazon a few months ago. I'm looking for some good recipes to take to our cabin in the mountains. It's in a small remote town about an hour and a half, as the crow flies, from Whistler. There are no town amenities besides a (much beloved) pub and a pretty rudimentary general store. We entertain each other by having dinner parties and I'm looking to arm myself with some new decent recipes, using a combo of some non-perishable ingredients and some fresh (while they last) items. We have the coolest vintage stove up there (a Frigidaire Flare Custom Imperial- look it up- there is a cult following) that I have become obsessed with, so much so that the one that came with the house kinda died and was replaced with a used one from Portland Or. we scored on Ebay in a couple of years ago. But I'm intrigued by a passing mention of slow cooker mushroom risotto, and wondered if anyone has a recipe for such that uses both fresh easy-to-come-by white button or cremini mushrooms as well as dried mushrooms (porcini or mixed mushrooms). I know asking for a risotto recipe not made on stovetop is unconventional, but if anyone has a good one, I'd be most appreciative. I hope everyone is staying safe and having as much fun in the kitchen as I. TIA.

My kitchen is entertaining me as well. In fact I just asked my previously-unknown neighbours to

buy me some butter on their next outing. They're young. I am not. I do not go out. They did. And now I have butter.

I am on the big island next to you and am anxiously awaiting the success of truffles 'planted' here, for I do adore truffles and grossly consume risotto, the favourite being truffle and asparagus.

I have been interested in the risotto stirring machine, or whatever that should be called. I am skeptical. So will await responses to your search for a slow-cooked risotto. I suspect Marcella's toes are curling.........

Nice to see you, Cath! In my copy of The New Slow Cooker cookbook

by Brigit Binns (a Williams-Sonoma cookbook) there's a recipe for Artichoke Risotto (topped with a mushroom "salad") in the slow cooker that I've been wanting to try. Was going to type it for you but Googled and found it online (at the link). Perhaps you could adapt it to omit the artichokes and just use mushrooms.

One reviewer noted: "Broth should be hot when it's added to the crockpot. Takes forever to cook otherwise."

Artichoke Risotto

A slow cooker simplifies the process of making risotto, which usually requires constant stirring. Add freshness with an herbed mushroom salad: Brush 1/2 lb. (250 g.) fresh white or cremini mushrooms clean, trim the stems, and cut them vertically into paper-thin slices. Place the sliced mushroom in a bowl and add an herbed vinaigrette. Toss gently until lightly coated.

3 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 large shallots, finely chopped
8 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups (14 oz./440 g.) Arborio or Carnaroli rice
1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml.) dry white wine
6 cups (48 fl. oz./1.5 l.) vegetable or chicken stock, homemade or purchased
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 oz. (250 g.) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved lengthwise
Herbed mushroom salad for serving (see note above; optional)
1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g.) grated Parmesan cheese

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with the oil. Add the shallots and saute until lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the rice, stir to coat with the fat, and cook, stirring, until the rice kernels start to click on the pan, 1-2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has been almost completely absorbed, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml.) of the stock, then transfer the contents of the pan to a slow cooker. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining 5 cups (40 fl. oz./1.25 l.) stock. Cover and cook on the high setting for 1 hour.

Add the artichokes, re-cover, and continue to cook for 1 1/4 hours longer. The rice should be tender but slightly al dente in the center and the mixture creamy. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and several grinds of pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt.

To serve, spoon the risotto into warm shallow bowls. Top each serving with some of the salad, if using. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and serve at once. Serves 4.

https://blog.williams-sonoma.com/artichoke-risotto/

Have never had a slow-cooker. I wonder if it might work on a very very very slow element.

I could eat risotto every second day. But it is a bit of a waste to make for 1. We can't get frozen artichokes here so maybe something else a bit dense.............fennel...........

Slow cookers cook differently than just using a stovetop burner element, Marg

the heat radiates up the sides of the cooker from the bottom so you don't get burning on the bottom. Or on the sides. Most newer slow cookers also have the capacity to brown as if you were using a stovetop element as well. I have a Ninja that has that capacity. Used to be that you'd need a stovetop pan to brown things but now it can be done in the slow cooker before using the slow cook setting.

Oh dear, now I am looking at using points to get cooker. At my age, more stuff. Must shut down.

De'Longhi Livenza All-In-One Programmable 6-QuartMulti-Cooker

You don't have to turn the oven on as long as you would use a slow cooker.

It is just a braising method and the usual 2-3 hours at 300* is the equivalent of a slow cooker.
might need to clarify. Braising in the oven for 2-3 hours is the same as 6-8 in a slow cooker.
BUT with the new Instant Pots it is probably worth the investment 'cause it isn't a one trick pony.

The deal on the pot expired last night. So back to trying this on stove. I can dig up faith from

just from curiosity. I started last night with the lovely aroma of slowing sweating shallots, cut the fennel in sizes that I thought might cook properly, had the mushrooms soaking water all filtered nicely ready to put into the pot.

I have these French cooking pieces with straight thick sides, clip-on handles, all coated in real TFal and induction bottoms. I have always wanted to pretend that the smallest one could be a crock pot. This was my chance.

All ready. ANd then.....no rice. I tore my cupboards apart as I almost never run out of something without either remembering it or replacing it. What a disappointment. And this experiment will have to wait until I brave the outside world again.

So, maybe I'm in a covid conundrum.

I don't think you can do it like a crockpot at all. But you can bake it.

If you're going to do it on stovetop, just do the regular risotto cook method.

Back