ISO: ISO: Speakin' of mustards, I need a recipe for full grain mustard, no egg in recipe (more)

In Search Of:

mistral

Over at the Pasadena Farmer's market there are a pair of guys that sell their own mustard--"Mark and Stephen's". I love the full grain mustard with garlic. This stuff is not so creamy as the "grainy" stuff I see at the supermarkets and there is nothing in it except mustard seed, water, vinegar, chardonnay (wine),lemon juice, roasted garlic and salt (and potassium metabisulfate, but I don't need that as I am making it for home use. . . ).

It looks to be much more "whole" seed than creamy mustard, and has a slight bite, but is not burning. From what I remember this has to do with when you add some acidic ingredient to the mustard after it mixes with water. . .

Well, anyway, anyone got any recipes or can anyone refer me to a good site about making mustard at home?

Thanks,

--mistral

Hot 'n sweet mustard recipe.You could add grains to it

1 container mustard powder (I use the cheap bottle from WalMart or Target
1C vinegar--white or cider
3/4C sugar
2 eggs
Mix mustard and vinegar in top of double boiler and let sit overnight. Beat eggs and sugar and add to mustard. Set over a simmering pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.

for your grainy mustard, I think you would need to soak the seeds to soften, perhaps in the vinegar. Then proceed with the recipe and fold in the seeds.

Mistral, it sounds like you're describing a whole-grain mustard...

where some of the seeds are left whole (instead of ground into mustard flour or crushed for a grainy type mustard). Here is a recipe I think might come fairly close to what you're describing:

Whole Grain Garlic Mustard

1/2 cup Mustard Seeds
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ground mustard
1 cup white wine, water, or a mixture of the two
2 cups cider or tarragon vinegar
6 cloves peeled and crushed garlic*
1/4 cup brown sugar orhoney*
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)

*Adjust the garlic and sugar/honey to your tastes.

Whisk together wine, ground mustard, and mustard seeds in a saucepan. Let stand.

Mix all other ingredients together in another saucepan. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temp.

Whisk the strained vinegar mixture into the mustard mixture and simmer for 5 minutes to combine.

Place in sterilized jar(s), seal, and refrigerate for several weeks to ripen before using.

Makes 1 pint.

Oh my, I have all I can do these days to saute onions, and you guys...

are making your own mustard?! lol ;o)

Seriously, has anyone here ever done this?

Thanks for the recipes! Durward's looks good and Richard's looks better. . .

I want a really grainy mustard with wine'n garlic

I will probably try Richard's first and roast the garlic.

The stuff I have been buying is 5$ a jar. Good, but I gotta save some money!

Dawn, I've been making mustards for a bunch of years....

I started doing this for Christmas gifts, and found it so easy that I kept at it.
My favorite was a horseradish mustard, which I made from freshly grated root that I could buy at a local green grocer. (Unfortunately, the shop has closed, so no more ready supply of horseradish.) I believe I found the basic directions in the old Gail's Swap.
I dumped the horseradish into a blender, added an equal volume of whole mustard seeds (a mix of yellow and black), then poured in enough white wine vinegar and honey to be able to blend the mixture, cracking some of the seeds in the process. Stop the blender occasionally and taste....add more honey or vinegar if you like, but I tended to leave this pretty sharp.
I would place the mustard into a clean jar or plastic container and keep in the fridge.
I found a lot of great mustard recipes in Helen Witty's books, such as "Fancy Pantry" and "Better than Store Bought".

Back