ISO: ISO: Wild Rice recipe that has dried cranberries, pecans, green onions and a tasty dressing...

In Search Of:

barbara-in-va

I have searched and searched and can't find the right one. Don't remember where I got the recipe from in the past, maybe a very old Southern Living issue? I think it is more of a salad than a side dish (if that makes sense to anyone besides me!) Does anyone have a T&T that they just love?

Thank you,

Barbara

Chicken and Wild Rice Salad

I make this all the time for company and it is always a hit. My apologies for not having exact measurements - I just add ingredients until it looks like enough (cranberries and scallions make it very colourful) Unfortunately the cilantro and lime dressing I used to buy has been reformulated and I think it is awful. So I will ask Swappers if they have a recipe. My sister swears by using Newmans Italian:)

Chicken & Wild Rice Salad

To serve at least 8 generous helpings, I make 2 boxes of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (Original flavour) as directed on the package. Set aside. (Actually this can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for a day
or two.)

Then I generously season 4-6 pieces of boneless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)with salt, pepper, dried basil and oregano and sauté in a bit of olive oil until done. This takes a few minutes - do not overcook the chicken. Set aside (again can be kept in
the fridge, separately, for a day or two).

When ready, I combine the chicken and rice. Then I add dried cranberries or cherries (whatever I have on hand), chopped pecans,
and chopped green onions. I have no exact measurements - I just add until it looks like enough! I finish it off with a bottle of purchased lime and cilantro dressing (although I'm sure a variety of purchased
dressings would do just fine).

REC: Wild Rice Salad from Gourmet

** Wild Rice Salad **

1 lb wild rice

For vinaigrette
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons chopped shallot
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups hickory nuts or chopped pecans,
toasted
1 1/4 cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3/4 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
3/4 cup dried cranberries

Rinse wild rice in a sieve under cold water,
then combine with cold water to cover by 2
inches in a 5-quart pot. Simmer, covered,
until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Make vinaigrette while wild rice is
simmering: Whisk together juice, shallot,
vinegar, mustard, and garlic. Gradually
whisk in oil until emulsified and season
with salt and pepper.

Cook white rice: After wild rice has been
simmering 20 minutes, boil white rice and 1
1/2 cups water in a 1 1/2-quart heavy
saucepan, uncovered and undisturbed, until
steam holes appear on surface, about 8
minutes. Reduce heat to very low and cook,
covered and undisturbed, 15 minutes more.
Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5
minutes.

Assemble salad: Rinse cooked wild rice in a
sieve under cold water and drain. Stir
together rices, vinaigrette, nuts, parsley,
dried fruit, and salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 12. Serve at room temperature.

Cooks' note: Salad keeps, covered and
chilled, 3 days.

Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 1 1/4 hr

Source: Gourmet, February 2000, Gourmet
Entertains
posted by:Julie W-RA

Hi Dawn and Deb--Thank you very much for your recipes.....

I did find one a little more like what I was looking for. In my haste, I jotted down the basics on how to make it, made the dressing and gathered up the "unusual" ingredients and headed for Alabama. No clue where I found the recipe! It was basically wild rice that I cooked in chicken broth, stirred in parsley, orange zest, toasted pine nuts, cranberries (recipe also called for raisins but someone in the group was very allergic, should have added some chopped dried apricots but didn't think of it at the time) and an orange juice dressing. It was delicious!

However, I LOVE wild rice so I have copied both of these recipes to be tried in the near future!

Thank you again,
Barbara

REC: Wild Rice Salad w/cranberries and pecans

Hi Barbara! Maybe the recipe below is similar to something that you are looking for. It doesn't call for green onions, but I'm sure that they would be a good addition. I've made this recipe alot and it is great just at room temp and so it travels easily. This was posted on Gail's recipe swap years ago, and I am sorry that I cannot give credit to the original poster.

Wild Rice Salad with cranberries
1 box Uncle Ben's original wild rice mix
1/2 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced red pepper
1/2 c. diced yellow pepper
1/2 c. toasted chopped pecans
3/4 c. dried cranberries
6 T. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. brown sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. olive oil
Cook rice according to directions.
Mix withnext five ingredients in large bowl. In asmall bowl,
whisk together the vinegar, salt sugar and mustard.
Slowly whisk in the oils until well blended.
Toss salad with enoughof the dressing to coat and flavor well.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Note: you will not use all of the dressing, but keep it on hand when you refresh the bowl.

Back