ISO: ISO: your favorite T&T apple pie...

In Search Of:
There are several tricks I find useful . . .

1) Use at least 3 but as many as 5 different kinds of apples (dramatically improves the "appley" flavor)

2) Depending on how large the pie is, throw in one or two pears (the pie will taste fruitier)

3) Minimal sugar (no more than 3/4 cup), no more than 1/2 tsp cinnamon with a dash of salt. (Let the fruit shine)

4) Use King Arthur's Flour Pie Filling Thickener

5)Douse the apples with juice of 1 fresh lemon, mix with thickener, sugar, salt and cinnamon, allow to macerate, 30 minutes to an hour.

6)When the fruit is spooned into the crust, add 1-2 Tbsp of thinly slice, unsalted butter

7) Try using a tight basket weave crust, then top with streusel (1 Tbsp soft butter, 3 Tbsp Flour, 1 Tbsp sugar)

smileys/bigeyes.gif Once crust is formed, refrigerate the pie 15-30 minutes.

9) Bake at 425 F for the first 15-20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 for the next 35-40 until filling bubbles.

I agree with your tips, although I've never heard of King Arthur's flour pie filling thickener!

Do you ever use the quick cooking tapioca?

I've never tried the "variety of apples" trick, but am definitely going to do that. Also, I always use less sugar than called for - I agree that the apple taste should shine through!

I've never seen the streusel on top of pie crust... interesting concept! Does it make it crunchier?

Also, any trick to keep the bottom crust from getting soggy??

Pile the whole, unpeeled fruit into your pie pan, and see how high it mounds.....

It really depends on the size of your fruit. I'm not crazy about those foot-high pies (I prefer a higher crust-to-apple ratio), so I make my mound as tall as I want my pie to be, maybe a little higher.

Once you cut up the fruits (the apples and one pear:), you should have enough.

As a general guideline, I'd say at least 5 large apples, more like 8 if they're small...?

Question about how to cut the apples - slices or chunks?

I always cut the apples into fairly thin slices, maybe a little less than 1/4". But one day, my pie was kinda dense, as it seemed that the apples all fell in neatly packed layers.

The layers created a denseness in the pie that I wasn't crazy about, and wondered if it would be better to cut the apples into chunks instead.

Or maybe a combination of chunks and slices?

How do you cut your apples?

Rec: Apple Crumb Pie

I also always bake my pies on a baking stone.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Crumb Pie

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

5 cups apples -- peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pie shell -- unbaked
Crumb Topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 pound butter

Peel and slice apples. Mix with 1/2 cup (or more) of sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Make crumb topping:
Mix flour and sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork, until crumbly. (This can also be done in a food processor.) Sprinkle over apples in pie shell.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes. Test by inserting sharp knife in pie to see if apples are tender. If not tender, bake another 5 to 10 minutes. Cover top of pie loosely with a piece of foil if topping gets too brown.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bottom crust tips, and mixed apples ...

Without a stone, bake the pie in the lower third, but be prepared to move it to the middle if the crust is browning too soon. Another tip is to put a baking sheet in the oven while it's preheating, and then put the pie pan on the hot baking sheet.

The mix of apples should include sweet and tart. A good guideline is:
2 Golden Delicious or Gala
2 Winesap or Granny Smith
2 McIntosh or Northern Spy

I've read a few pastry chefs say the only apple you can use alone in a pie is the russet (peeled), because it's a good mix of sweet/tart on its own. I've also made awesome pies with only Cox's Orange Pippins, but they're not often in the markets so I prefer the above mix.

I aim for 1/2-inch wedges. About a third of these, I cut on an angle diagonally to get

more of a chunk, especially if the wedge is thicker than 1/2 inch. Thin slices work best in apple cakes and sour cream pies.

I love tip #1 and the apple pie thickener is AKA ClearJell (1 or 2) and is . . .

AKA modified food starch of some sort or another.

Man, oh man am I with you on on the Number 1 tip. No one apple with give the "best" apple flavor. I really love a variety of mixed apples and it really does give a great apple pie.

Sorry, it's called "Pie Filling Enhancer" , thickener, superfine sugar, & ascorbic acid. Never fails

In the past I've tried cornstarch, flour, wondra flour and tapioca pearls but nothing has proven as reliable as the enhancer.

The crumb topping on the lattice top DOES give you an additional crunch as well as an additional texture. (Until you refrigerate it so, be sure to have seconds!)

Different apple varieties not only give you a broad spectrum of flavors but also multiple textures as well.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=3466

I use my apple slicer/corer, then cut the slices into chunks, about 3/4 inch maybe.

or 1/2 inch. this mixes them up well so they don't meld back together. I personally don't like great big chunks in my pies. I think the smaller chunks cook through better.

Back