It’s foggy here, and corn is in season, REC: Summer Corn Chowder

heather_in_sf

I made this tonight and it tastes so fresh and light, perfect for our foggy summer nights.

I used white corn from the farmer’s market and also scraped the cobs to get all the sweet juice into the soup. You can use frozen com.

REC: Summer Corn Chowder
1 poblano chile
4 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cut crosswise into ¼-inch pieces
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
3½ cups white or yellow corn kernels (about 4 ears) or 16 ounces frozen corn
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
½ pound new potatoes, diced
Salt and pepper

Char the chile over a gas flame or under a broiler until it is blackened and charred on all sides. Transfer the chile to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow it to steam while cooling. Peel, seed, stem, and dice the chile. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Cook the bacon in a heavy, large saucepan over medium heat until it is almost crisp and the fat is rendered, about 7 minutes. Pour off some of the fat (leaving about 1 tablespoon) and add the onion. Cover and cook until the onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and oregano, and then the corn. Add the broth, milk, and potatoes, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the poblano chile and simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Serves 4

Hi Heather!

This sounds so good, I love corn chowder! Although, 40 miles south of you here it might be too hot for me to hit the farmers market this weekend. I love our micro climates, did you see near half moon bay it was a 33 degree difference only 8 miles apart? I’m going to try this when I next see the corn guy at the FM. Thanks!

Back