Jodi's Miniature Tartlet Pastry Dough

sandi-in-hawaii

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 From: Jodi

MINIATURE TARTLET PASTRY DOUGH

2 1/2 cups of unsifted all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
2 sticks of unsalted Butter, chilled , then cut into 1/4" slices. (Do not substitute Butter , you can use salted if you wish but the unsalted is fresher.)
1 Large Egg
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

Now here is my way of putting the dough together....

I put the butter in my Kitchen Aid mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix on medium until well blended

Add the egg, vanilla, and salt, blend in.

Now add the flour and mix in on low to keep from getting a flour bath, When the dough is mixed it will form a ball, and be stiff, I then remove from mixer and place on wax paper and with my hands I press the dough together until it is smooth and cohesive.

Now, preheat your oven to 350 F... If using the minature tartlet tins this recipe will make four dozen, arrange the tartlet tins on your cookie sheet, and pinch off about one teaspoon of dough and roll each piece into a ball.

To press the dough into the tins, using your index finger, press the center of dough ball into the tin, then press up the sides, while rotating the tin to distribute the dough evenly.

Try to use just enough dough to line the tartlet tins or mini muffin tins, as when the crust is really thick , not much room for your fillings.

If you are using the tartlet tins, they need to be baked until a light golden brown , which takes 12 to 15 minutes. When done take out of oven and place on rack to cool. Invert tin and the tartlet shell will drop onto your hand or onto the cookie sheet.....

Hint: If making pumpkin, do not bake shells before you put the filling in, as the filling has to cook also and these take about 15 to 18 minutes to bake. I put the pumpkin filling into a squeeze bottle, and then I squeeze out just enought of the fillings to fill 2/3 full except for pumpkin and with that go to the top.

You could bake the pumpkin and then pipe it into the prepared shells, whichever way you like best. I have done it both ways.

I put Cool Whip or Whipping Cream on the top, I pipe rosettes on, then sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on top of the whipped cream for garnish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back