Just like summer pasta sauce...

junebug

Last summer, I froze our surplus tomatoes on wax paper-covered cookie sheets for a day, then transferred to ziploc bags. Chopped up the red bell peppers, and froze, one to a small ziploc. Snipped the basil leaves off the stems, rinsed and spun them dry, and froze in a ziploc.

Tonight, I took out about a dozen tomatoes, half slicers and half sauce tomatoes, put them in a bowl, and covered them with hot tap water. Heated some olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan, then drained the tomatoes. The skins slipped off easily, and I roughly chopped them and threw them in a colander to drain. Pressed 4 garlic cloves into the pan, and sauted until they lost the raw smell. Added the frozen chopped red pepper. Added the tomatoes. Turned the heat way up for a few minutes to get rid of the extra liquid, then seasoned with salt and a little brown sugar. (You could add black pepper and/or red wine here). Snipped about 1/4 cup frozen basil leaves into the sauce. Served on rotini with parmesan. It made 2 ample, tasty, and nutritious servings.

Thanks for sharing your simple and effective methods for dealing ...

with harvest time tomatoes, etc. This will come in handy next fall!

Back