RECIPE: Kielbasa Bean Stew - my offering to the forum to take me back :)

RECIPE:

tess

Yield: 4

Kielbasa Bean Stew​

polish dish with beans

This kielbasa bean stew is a hearty dish that's full of herby flavour. It's just the perfect weeknight meal that pairs great with a chunk of crusty bread.

Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Total Time40 minutes

Ingredients​

• 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 250 g (1/2 lb) Kielbasa sausage, sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 200 ml passata
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 x 400 g (14 oz) cans cannellini beans
  • 400 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
  • 30 g (1 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
  • 30 g (1 cup) fresh dill, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions​

1. Heat the sunflower oil in a large, deep pan or Dutch oven and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
  2. Add the garlic, carrot and Kielbasa sausage and cook for 7-8 minutes until the veggies are slightly softened and the sausage is slightly crispy.
  3. Add the red bell pepper and cook for 3 more minutes.
  4. Stir in the the tomato paste and passata, then add the paprika and bay leaves.
  5. Add the cannellini beans and stock and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
  6. Take off the lid and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your likening.
  7. Stir in the parsley and dill, season to taste and serve with fresh crusty bread.

Funny story - my friend is Chinese - here for 8 years now. She's exposed me to wonderful real Chinese food, teas, and such.
One day at her house she says I have to try this Chinese sausage. She gets it shipped to her from china frozen.
She had some in the fridge and gave me a slice.
Hmmmmm.... this looks familiar.
Smells familiar......
Tasted it...

This is not Chinese sausage - this is kielbasa
No - it's Chinese sausage.
I grew up on this stuff - it's kielbassi

She gets the remainder out of the freezer - which has the original wrapper. All in Chinese. Except for 2 words. Polish Kielbasa

🤣

So I've given her some that I get from my family in PA.
We have plans to go down to Edison where on one block there's a polish market and then next block a Chinese hot pot restaurant. It's going to be a wild trip!

Ha...love stories like that! It's a kielbassi kind of week. After buying two versions at the grocery store (one "skinless" and one "with casing'--I wasn't sure mom could chew casing) to make White Borscht...

(I left behind all the borscht I'd made in NC!)

...I ALSO bought a horseshoe of homemade from a very good butchery in our area. Just tried a hunk yesterday and it is so much more flavorful than the generic Eckrich versions. Also picked up some of their sauerkraut.

An engineering work friend was from Poland and when I worked at the King of Prussia Lockheed Martin site, she made our group a Polish dinner. She would go down to Philadelphia to get her meats and my favorite was a tiny sausage about the size of your middle finger. Have no name for it, but it was very good.

She also made an incredible cheesecake using my standard recipe to which she added TWO sticks of butter and 1/4 C of vodka. Whoa.

Last edited:
Looks delicious! We were at friends to dinner last night and she made something very similar to this. Delicious and perfect when the weather is 1 degree out.

Yield: 4

Kielbasa Bean Stew​

polish dish with beans

This kielbasa bean stew is a hearty dish that's full of herby flavour. It's just the perfect weeknight meal that pairs great with a chunk of crusty bread.

Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Total Time40 minutes

Ingredients​

• 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 250 g (1/2 lb) Kielbasa sausage, sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 200 ml passata
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 x 400 g (14 oz) cans cannellini beans
  • 400 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
  • 30 g (1 cup) fresh parsley, chopped
  • 30 g (1 cup) fresh dill, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions​

1. Heat the sunflower oil in a large, deep pan or Dutch oven and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
  2. Add the garlic, carrot and Kielbasa sausage and cook for 7-8 minutes until the veggies are slightly softened and the sausage is slightly crispy.
  3. Add the red bell pepper and cook for 3 more minutes.
  4. Stir in the the tomato paste and passata, then add the paprika and bay leaves.
  5. Add the cannellini beans and stock and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
  6. Take off the lid and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your likening.
  7. Stir in the parsley and dill, season to taste and serve with fresh crusty bread.
Tess, this recipe sounds delicious plus it introduced me to a blog I hadn't seen before so a double "thank you"! I'm glad you've found your way back to the Swap. Wigs aka Caryn

Funny story - my friend is Chinese - here for 8 years now. She's exposed me to wonderful real Chinese food, teas, and such.
One day at her house she says I have to try this Chinese sausage. She gets it shipped to her from china frozen.
She had some in the fridge and gave me a slice.
Hmmmmm.... this looks familiar.
Smells familiar......
Tasted it...

This is not Chinese sausage - this is kielbasa
No - it's Chinese sausage.
I grew up on this stuff - it's kielbassi

She gets the remainder out of the freezer - which has the original wrapper. All in Chinese. Except for 2 words. Polish Kielbasa

🤣

So I've given her some that I get from my family in PA.
We have plans to go down to Edison where on one block there's a polish market and then next block a Chinese hot pot restaurant. It's going to be a wild trip!
This is a wonderful story, Tess--I got a big kick out of reading it this morning. My husband and I were both born and raised in South Bend, Indiana, but have lived in Columbus, IN, since 1976. Paul is Polish through and through. (I kept my birth surname of Wiggins.) Any time we are back in the northern part of the state, we always swing into Eby's Old Fashion Meat Market to pick up a few pounds of their homemade Polish sausage which is NOTHING like Eckrich Polska kielbasa. When Paul tasted the latter once, he flatly proclaimed it was NOT close to real Polish sausage by any stretch of the imagination. So, if you're ever in Notre Dame country, stop by here: Eby's Old Fashion Meat Market
Scroll down a bit at this web site to see the real McCoy (per South Bend standards) being made by hand.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw3rf_sthYjBJu_dPKj3txxI&opi=89978449

Back